Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Alternative Item Quality Gauge  (Read 726 times)

BubbaBrown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Alternative Item Quality Gauge
« on: June 13, 2010, 06:42:57 pm »

After many times of sorting through all kinds of item fodder, I'm beginning to appreciate the concept of an alternative means of indicating the quality of the item.  For the purists, the prefix and suffix combinations work just fine.  The problem occurs when different tilesets and graphical elements are used, these gauges get translated into meaningless tiles and pictures.  So, it might be prudent to include an option in the settings to allow a simple prefix system that uses numbers rather than remapped character indicators.

Example Format:
Qn-(Item)

The prefix is "Qn-" where "Q" indicates that it is a quality measurement and "n" is a number indicative of quality.  The "-" is the delimiter to show it separate from the item, but still be visually indicative of which item it is referring to.  (Too many spaces can cause the eye to get lost.)  Another additional option is to allow color coding this prefix.

Example Number mappings (4-bit fit):
0 - Crap (Tattered)
1 - Standard
2 - Well-crafted
3 - Finely-crafted
4 - Superior quality
5 - Exceptional
6 - Masterful
7 - Artifact

This prefix system would make it easier to select items (especially when you are trying to pawn offer all your crap) and avoid the pitfalls of tilesets and graphics remapping.  With color coding, it'd also make it easier to blaze through lists and do scans of inventory without missing too much.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Alternative Item Quality Gauge
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 07:02:57 pm »

That seems fine. How about the ID tags to show decorated items, foreign items and forbidden items? There also causes for hidden items, and items marked to be dumped and melted.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

BubbaBrown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 08:41:14 pm »

That seems fine. How about the ID tags to show decorated items, foreign items and forbidden items? There also causes for hidden items, and items marked to be dumped and melted.

Hmm... I wonder if it'd be prudent to implement something like a Unix style permission triplet.

"QSF-"  "Q" = Quality, "S" = "State (Decorated, Foreign, and other things associated with the item itself),  "F" = Flags (Forbidden, Dumped, Melted, and other states affecting the items.)

That might work in general contexts with specialized views only using one or two of the digits in the triplet.  Certainly worth a investigation into.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 01:12:44 am »

I like to think standard output for hand crafted objects would not be one step above crap. Go with adequate.

"Superior" is not descriptive in the least. It should be done away with.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 01:20:54 am »

Both would seem to require a similar learning curve. If graphic pack persons cant handle one set of characters then would these set of characters be simplier?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 01:31:25 am »

I agree. It prompts the question, "Superior to what?"
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

BubbaBrown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 02:31:45 am »

I like to think standard output for hand crafted objects would not be one step above crap. Go with adequate.

Just going off what the DF wiki has on it, currently.

Sjiveru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 10:36:44 am »

Since artifacts are inherently unique, I'd suggest using 'A' to mark 'artifact' rather than a number.

I like the idea - it's much easier to remember. Currently, you have to keep in your mind whether * is higher or lower than ≡ and so on, which is kind of a mess.