Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Save Game, Save Game and Exit.  (Read 518 times)

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Save Game, Save Game and Exit.
« on: February 08, 2008, 09:43:00 pm »

It would be nice to have 2 options, one to save the game, one the save the game and exit.

Usually i save just because i don't want the power to go out and then i lose all my game. I shouldn't have to unload the whole map and then reload just to save...

There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes

Pyro93735

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Save Game, Save Game and Exit.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 01:16:00 am »

I was just thinking of posting this... this is covered to a certain degree by the .ini setting that allows for a save to be generated seasonally or yearly. I'd imagine this has been discussed before. I'm not quite aware of the arguments against, though, possibly the fact that then you can just save/reload to right before any imminent disaster and avoid it. That kinda goes against the "Losing is fun" motif, and considering that there's currently no win conditions but only a selection of lose conditions, maintaining a fort for prolonged periods of time isn't nearly as satisfying as losing it in fantastic ways.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 01:22:00 am »

Losing it to a random crash certainly isn't fun, and this idea doesn't make save-scumming any easier.

I'm for it. :b:

"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 07:15:00 am »

Pyro93735: Yeah i know about that but id rather not have it auto saving all the time. Especially if i'm in the middle of doing something. I don't want to have to see a save game screen come up, then have to wait a minute to get back to doing what i was doing.
There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 01:32:00 pm »

There's this dilemma about manual backups versus automatic backups. If you leave things on all-manual, then you have the freedom to save as often as you like. Then again, how often do you expect yourself to remember to save, especially if the game's going good? In long-scale RTS games, like Remember Tomorrow, I really wish I had an autosave feature to save automatically every ten or so years, just so that I don't lose to a random armada breaching to my homeworld. I prefer to keep a yearly autobackup. If anything happens, I lose a year at most. Also, autobackup ensures that your saves don't get destroyed by crashes.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Silver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 12:51:00 pm »

Saving without exiting would be great. Being able to exit without saving would also be great. Much better to have the option than Ctrl+Alt+Del  :)

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 03:26:00 pm »

@ Silver: No, being able to exit without saving would actually defeat one of the main purposes of this game. Toady has made it permanent death for a reason.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 07:12:00 pm »

With the advent of automatic yearly/seasonal saving, the game already provides us with multiple copies of the same fortress.  Citing permanent death as a reason not to add a "Save and Continue" option is silly at this point.

Actually, I routinely clean out redundant saves, so while I think that's true, I could be mistaken.  I know it makes a new save every time you start a new fortress.

[ February 10, 2008: Message edited by: Earthquake Damage ]

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 07:30:00 pm »

No, earthquake. I was saying the thing about permanent death to Silver.

He wanted exit without saving.