Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CAVETIME (can't touch that)  (Read 913 times)

blainemono

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
CAVETIME (can't touch that)
« on: September 03, 2010, 03:20:55 pm »

I've struck my first cave while drilling the epic downwards stairway. Pierced the ceiling, built a couple of levels of up/down stairs hangng over nothing, almost reached the floor... and that's it. My dwarves don't want to build anything that connects to the cave floor - neither upwards stairs at the bottom of the staircase nor constructed floor that connects stairs and a cavernous hill thingy. Just won't pick up the job. What's up with that?

Also, this cave starts at z-level minus 9 and level minus 29 seems to be the bottom of the map (can't go any deeper). Is it normal? Where are my magma seas?

Also also, to those who said evil biome doesn't affect the cave wildlife? Bollocks to you, unspecified sirs. My cave is infested by zombie giant olms, spreading miasma and everything.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CAVETIME (can't touch that)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 04:32:32 pm »

Did you build the hanging stairs as up/down stairs?

As for the magma sea, it might be in a different spot. Try drilling horizontally until you hit a warm wall or partially molten rock.

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 06:26:50 pm »

Sounds like magma sea and HFS was disabled during worldgen? Messed with cave layers and distances?

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 02:08:09 pm »

I've seen a few that had the layers very close together but you have to look around the map lots to find them even just crammed into only 50 layers.

Can you try drilling down through a solid chunk that you can see partiall then tunneling out the back side of it? If they haven't revealed the cave part they shouldn't be able to say "I can't get there."
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 04:15:15 pm »

Kick a cat or a dwarf down there and explore the area, then find an edge to go in on as opposed to the ceiling of it.

Supersquee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 09:30:42 am »

I've been having the same problem, and I definately have the seas and the bottom layer enabled. Strangely though, when I embark on a volcano, I can go down to 120 Z levels, but anywhere else on the map I get to around about 40.
The problem with finding badassery in DF, is that the standard is so damn high.

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 03:28:13 pm »

The problem might be that the item that was selected to build the stairs is in the cavern itself.  The stairs at bottom have a path to parts of the cavern, so anything in there can be used to build it.  But since the dwarfs can't get to it, they can't build the stairs. 

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 03:50:31 pm »

the depth number gives a value relative to what is considered ground above it. so you could be at -150 if beneath a big hill, but this could jump to -25 if you scroll out from under this hill...
This is a blank sig.