Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Make Magma-Safe Mechanisms/Floodgate/Door/Anything  (Read 2002 times)

weird beard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Make Magma-Safe Mechanisms/Floodgate/Door/Anything
« on: June 12, 2010, 06:49:53 pm »

A simple suggestion, that there is an option in workshops to make 'magma-safe' versions of any suitable furniture or mechanisms. As far as I'm aware, the only way to do this at the moment is to either forbid all non-magma safe stone from use or at least put a workshop right near a stockpile of magma-safe stone.

I am a fairly inexperienced player so if I've missed some game-mechanic that's glaringly obvious to the rest of you please tell me.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Make Magma-Safe Mechanisms/Floodgate/Door/Anything
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 08:12:09 pm »

You know you can designate all types of stone as usable/unusable in the Stone menu now, right? Forbidding is a thing of the past.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Wyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 08:32:20 pm »

It's still annoying to have to suspend all non-magma safe tasks, go into the stones screen, disable all the stones, queue the magma-safe task, wait until it completes, then re-enable all the stones and unsuspend the non-magma safe tasks. If we had this, or a job/material restrictions on workshops, we could do this more cleanly.

Hugna

• Bay Watcher
  • Till the Earth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 10:16:55 pm »

You can add a custom stockpile to allow magma-safe stone to be stockpiled near the workshops too. Workshops should use the nearest stone, so if you want magma-safe, try that strategy.

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 11:04:12 pm »

Of course, closest is as the ghost moves. Walls are not cared about until the dwarf actually decides to go get the (accessible)material. Instead, I suggest a custom workshop, designed to only build magma-safe mechanisms.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Zalminen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 12:25:07 am »

Workshop material selection is currently #4 in eternal suggestion voting, that will take care of this problem as well.

Toady has said he'll be working on the top suggestions soon...
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 06:11:45 am »

You can do this with a customized stockpile near the workshop (it will use whatever's closest); I recommend placing a small stockpile next to every workshop to deliver whatever you want that workshop to use -- a good idea for other reasons, too, since it keeps your skilled dwarves working as much as possible without having to haul things a long distance to the workshop themselves (potentially endangering themselves in the process, if they go outside or into the depths to get something.)

Leave that for the unskilled immigrant haulers.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

steveman0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 10:49:01 am »

Workshop material selection is currently #4 in eternal suggestion voting, that will take care of this problem as well.

Toady has said he'll be working on the top suggestions soon...

This.

Once you can select materials it won't matter.  You'll be able to choose to make a dozen Talc mechanisms and have no more worries of magma floods or other Fun incidents.

Also, if you haven't done so, go vote for the option as I would like to see this implemented as well.

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 04:52:26 pm »

Workshops should use the nearest stone, so if you want magma-safe, try that strategy.
Not to be a nitpicker, but it's actually the dwarf starting the task that picks the stone closest to him.  If he is far away from the workshop he will grab whatever is closest, haul it to the workshop then use that for the first iteration.  Of course as he keeps on working in the workshop he will be at the workshop once he needs the second stone, and so it will seem as if he picks whatever is closest to the workshop from then on.

weird beard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 05:49:12 am »

All the things you've mentioned are workarounds effectively, although thanks for telling me, they are useful. :)

I DID actually look at the top suggestions on eternal suggestion voting, but I put the topic anyway because it said something along the lines of 'at least to the level of colour'. If Toady only implemented it to that level it would not be suitable for this. And also a 'magma-safe' option in general would be useful, even if material selection is implemented particularly for those of us who have not memorised the list of magma-safe stones and hate having to load up the wiki all the time to search for info like this. So it IS a different suggestion... sort of.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 01:10:16 pm »

Just make it out of iron. Metal is very plentiful these days, and goblinite is infinite. You can even make mechanisms at the forge. You can make iron mechanisms, doors, blocks, tables, chairs. Pretty much everything except for beds.

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 02:26:11 pm »

Just make it out of iron. Metal is very plentiful these days, and goblinite is infinite. You can even make mechanisms at the forge. You can make iron mechanisms, doors, blocks, tables, chairs. Pretty much everything except for beds.
Is iron magma-safe now?
I also don't think mechanisms can be made out of iron, unless that's a new addition, so the basic problem remains to some extent regardless.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 04:26:09 pm »

Is iron magma-safe now?
I also don't think mechanisms can be made out of iron, unless that's a new addition, so the basic problem remains to some extent regardless.

You can make mechanisms out of iron (or other metals) at the forge since 31.01. Iron has always been magma safe as far I know. If not iron, then steel definitely is. Nickle won't melt either. Just don't make stuff out of lead.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 04:42:53 pm »

You can add a custom stockpile to allow magma-safe stone to be stockpiled near the workshops too. Workshops should use the nearest stone, so if you want magma-safe, try that strategy.

Not quite. A worker going to a job that requires material like stone will GRAB THE NEAREST STONE when he decides to do that job. This means THE FIRST STONE can come from anywhere--- not just the "nearest" found stone. Stone used afterward by that dwarf working further tasks in that worshop will use the nearest legal stone.

So, if you don't want to worry about that first stone and what it is, you have to forbid all but magma safe stones in the stone menu before you start up stone tasks as it currently stands.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!