Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How can I make domestic animals appear as wandering creatures?  (Read 368 times)

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's the 15th year or so into my fort, one that is a member of a dead civilization. 15 years and no trade caravans. Even worse, I chose "Play now" and I did not receive a pair of breeding cats. If you don't think that's bad, I have one word for you: Vermin.  Already one cat has died of old age, and I'm guessing the second will kick the bucket at any time.

What I would like to know is, can I make cats or other animals that are domestic show up as wandering animals in my existing fort's biome, (so, without starting a new fort) without causing conflicts or errors, and if so, can I trap them in cages and tame them without a dungeon master? (No civ to send me one)

I tried searching so if this has been asked already, sorry. :)
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How can I make domestic animals appear as wandering creatures?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 02:18:07 pm »

You would have to add the [LARGE_ROAMING] and appropriate biome tags to the animal to get it to show up in the wild. However, you would have to generate a new world as well.  I think. I'm still new to modding, so I'm not entirely sure.

You could instead try adding [VERMINHUNTER] to one of the creatures that can be found in your fortress. I don't think that would require generating a new world.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: How can I make domestic animals appear as wandering creatures?
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 03:44:43 pm »

If you want to tame exotic animals, go into your /data/save/region*/raw/objects/ folder, find them there (windows search looks into .txt files) and change [PET_EXOTIC] to [PET].
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository