Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Non Dwarf Immigrants  (Read 629 times)

varsashi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Non Dwarf Immigrants
« on: November 27, 2007, 12:34:00 am »

Who else thinks it would be cool to have non-dwarf immigrants. This could mean many back stories for the mixed race crowd.
eg: A Human who was falsely accused of a crime and ran away from the executioner's block; An elf who wishes to study the affects of subterranean living; a goblin that left his fortress and you rescue him from some kind of danger; or even using captured kobolds to either be normal citizens or forcing them to work on screw pumps for the rest of their existences.

These unit types could have different starting stats, or have it harder for them to learn certain skills while they are more adept at others.
eg: Elves not getting strong easily; goblins being fit for fighters

If you used captured units then you could add a skill that convinced these units to join you. They could have a kennel like workshop and have different ways of convincing them.
eg: give gift; give food; torture; offer power

Anyway i bet this would be really hard to implement but i really think it would be fun.

Edit: I assume no one likes this idea?

[ November 27, 2007: Message edited by: varsashi ]

KiTA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Non Dwarf Immigrants
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 08:10:00 am »

I like it.  :)  I'd love to see Humans help fight off the humans that show up with the Goblins sometimes.   :)

MindSnap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 11:20:00 am »

I think that most dwarves are too xenophobic to even consider letting mangy humans into their magnificent fortress. However, if it was an option in the init, it would be fine.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 11:30:00 am »

« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 10:59:30 pm by penguinofhonor »

WillNZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 01:42:00 pm »

quote:
I think that most dwarves are too xenophobic to even consider letting mangy humans into their magnificent fortress. However, if it was an option in the init, it would be fine.

Dwarves respect humans... from a distance. Me, I'm planning out my above-ground human ghetto. They work for peanuts, you know?

I think multi-racial fortresses will be in at some point. There was some discussion on Future of the Fortress.

[ December 01, 2007: Message edited by: WillNZ ]

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 05:56:00 pm »

I think this is supposed to be coming down the line. If it's not it should probably be moddable, but not in init.txt. I think init.txt should be reserved for nongameplay settings and minor configurations; otherwise people will change the settings around so much that you'll have to ask what their init settings are before you can discuss the game with them.

Also, if this feature is implemented Toady would also have to add the ability to build different types of clothing/armor/weapons to suit nondwarven civs. Otherwise all your humans would eventually be running around naked because dwarf clothing doesn't fit, and they wouldn't be able to use the various human two-handed weapons.

Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

Metal Chao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 06:25:00 pm »

Actually, clothing doesn't appear to have a size setting.
Humans, Elves, Goblins and Dwarves all wear the same size cloths and use the same size weapons.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 07:59:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Metal Chao:
<STRONG>Actually, clothing doesn't appear to have a size setting.
Humans, Elves, Goblins and Dwarves all wear the same size cloths and use the same size weapons.</STRONG>

Um, that's not true. Although all creatures do use the same weapons, clothing is most definately size-based. 'Narrow' for kobalds and goblins, 'large' for humans and elves. Dwarves cannot wear narrow or large clothing or armor.