Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to make mud for farm,do all forges need magma?and is this a good strategy?  (Read 1086 times)

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile

You breed cats and rabbits for a food suply but only eat the oldest ones that are of no use.You start on a dark fortress ruin and  destroy all buildings then use the obsidian to build your....MIGHTY DWARFPIRE!.That is my strategy but if your going to answer any of the questions answer the ones about food.Also how do i make my farmers farm things?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 09:51:33 am by Dwarf mc dwarf »

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile

Cats is a bad idea. They'll adopt your dwarves and then their dwarven mindslaves won't let you kill them.

No idea where you get the rabbits from.

Make your farmers farm things with [ b ]uild-farm [ p ]lot, and then once it is built, designate the desired crops.

Mud is left by evaporating water.

Not all forges need magma, but magma forges are the best because they don't require fuel.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also how do I get evaporating water easily?and what do i use for fuel for forges and where can I find it?

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile

actually you just need to move water over the muddy terrain. This can be done by using floodgates, designating the area as a pond, screw pumps or by connecting it to a muddy pond.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Eidako

• Bay Watcher
  • Snow White cancels Sleep: Attending Party
    • View Profile

The quickest way to make mud (don't do this while it's raining):
Locate a non-frozen murky pool. Dig out a room next to the pool. If you don't mind having your other rooms be temporarily wet you can make it smaller, but otherwise the room should be at least three times larger than the pool. Clear all of the rocks from the area you want to farm, or better yet, do this in soil or sand so you don't have to. Seal the room with a wall or door if you don't want mud in your fortress hallways, then dig out the wall between the pool and room. The pool will flow into the room, eventually evaporate provided that you made the room large enough, and viola, mud. Now build a wall between the pool and room so it doesn't flood when it starts raining.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Help me!when i try to build a farmers workshop it is never built and when i hover over it with building options it says "needs any workshop farming"

Decidophobia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Help me!when i try to build a farmers workshop it is never built and when i hover over it with building options it says "needs any workshop farming"
The workshop farming labours are plant processing, milking and cheese making. Make sure somebody has one of those activated, and that he's not busy doing something else.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile

Cats is a bad idea. They'll adopt your dwarves and then their dwarven mindslaves won't let you kill them.

Make your farmers farm things with [ b ]uild-farm [ p ]lot, and then once it is built, designate the desired crops.

Not all forges need magma, but magma forges are the best because they don't require fuel.
you put two cats on a chain near the food stockpile, they will mate, put the kittehz on the chain, they will grow up and mate, repeat and soon you'll have a massive number of cats to slaughter.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile

you put two cats on a chain near the food stockpile, they will mate, put the kittehz on the chain, they will grow up and mate, repeat and soon you'll have a massive number of cats to slaughter.

what happens when you have only two male cats :o
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For every cat that adopts a dwarf, that's one less cat for slaughter. Cats adopt dwarves that have "likes cats" in their preferences, so when the inevitable immigrant comes with this trait, better slaughter fast.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.