Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 0.31.06 Shells  (Read 1155 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
0.31.06 Shells
« on: June 09, 2010, 08:34:43 pm »

I bought some turtles, some of them were eaten, have my only refuse stockpile indoors, yet no shells are showing up. I also cannot find them on the stocks menu.

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31.06 Shells
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 08:55:59 pm »

Shells only appear when you

(a) process raw, unprocessed turtles, or
(b) eat raw, unprocessed turtles

If you buy turtles, you are buying them preprocessed, so their shells have already been removed.  Frustratingly, the only way to get shells is to catch turtles yourself or modify the raws.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 08:58:39 pm »

Shells only appear when you

(a) process raw, unprocessed turtles, or
(b) eat raw, unprocessed turtles

If you buy turtles, you are buying them preprocessed, so their shells have already been removed.  Frustratingly, the only way to get shells is to catch turtles yourself or modify the raws.
Wasn't this changed recently so that (b) no longer happened?
As far as I was aware, for the past few versions (31.04 and up) you must clean a raw turtle to acquire a shell - a dwarf eating a raw turtle will no longer produce a shell, and all turtles purchased from caravans or brought on embark have already been prepared and will also not provide you with a shell.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 09:51:54 pm »

Wait, I recall in captduck's videos that now you cannot catch turtles either. Does that mean that shells can now only be gotten form the underground?

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
    • Familiar Ground, fantasy comedy from a familiar point of view.
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 11:57:12 pm »

You can catch turtles.  It's just that some regions don't have any.

But my fisherdwarf has been catching nothing but turtles from murky pools.
Check out my comic!
http://www.familiar-ground.com
Fantasy Comedy.  Familiar Point of View.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 12:56:28 am »

Ok and where can I find these shells in the stocks menu?

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 02:57:41 am »

Most regions have turtles or mussels (which I've been finding plenty of in brooks and pools). If you have any kind of water on your map you should have little or no difficulty acquiring shells.
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

grufti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 05:41:25 am »

Most regions have turtles or mussels (which I've been finding plenty of in brooks and pools). If you have any kind of water on your map you should have little or no difficulty acquiring shells.

Not in every region.

Do you generate island worlds or region worlds?

MC Hammerbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 09:46:34 am »

I imagine you can edit the raws to make turtles [COMMON_DOMESTIC] and [PET], and thus embark with a few turtles for breeding stock.

If not directly, then there are a couple of mods you could cherry pick tortoises from, Genesis comes to mind.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 10:46:19 am »

Turtles are vermin-sized, so you can't do that. What you want is something like the pet crabs in CivForge mod - a domestic animal that happens to give shells.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

SenorPiquante

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that's Optimus Prime wearing a sombrero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 11:56:21 am »

I modded cats to give shells, there's instructions in the Shells page on the wiki. It may have had unforeseen consequences, as now I've got a few "cat brain totems" in my craft stockpile. Armok only knows what the neighbours thought of THAT one...
Twitter: The only place where it is acceptable to say "I noticed that her and I had a lot of the same interests, so I started following her."

The Dwarf Fortress forums: The only place where a discussion of an Elf king who splattered a dragon across a fortress wall with two hammerstrikes can be derailed into the economy crash of 1929.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 04:09:26 pm »

I modded cats to give shells, there's instructions in the Shells page on the wiki. It may have had unforeseen consequences, as now I've got a few "cat brain totems" in my craft stockpile. Armok only knows what the neighbours thought of THAT one...

I would consider it a superior class of dwarven civilization.

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 04:55:42 pm »

Not in every region.

Do you generate island worlds or region worlds?

I always generate regions instead of islands, as in my experience they have fewer of the dreaded aquifers. Since upgrading to 31.06 I've had trouble with too many shells, rather than not enough.
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 06:00:27 pm »

...I still have yet to generate a world with turtles.  I really have no idea why.  Even using complete stock worldgen parameters I get no turtles.

Edit: On a whim I switched away from Phoebus' prepackaged tileset and suddenly things started working.  I'm not sure if it's coincidence or I somehow screwed up that particular version of DF.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 08:32:53 pm by Daetrin »
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?