Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embarking at a cave -> Everything clumped on surface?  (Read 592 times)

ChickenLips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Embarking at a cave -> Everything clumped on surface?
« on: June 10, 2010, 02:13:38 am »

Pretty new to the game still, so I thought I'd embark at a spot with a cave, saw something weird, and thought I'd ask to see if it's a bug or As Intended.

Upon finishing embark, I look and see on the map a HUGE, tightly-packed clump of trade goods, food (soon to be rotten), ettins, giant rats and blind cave bears on the surface just hanging out -- and all of it centered on top of a brook, at that.  Looks dd and inappropriate, to say the lest.

Is this, eh, how it's supposed to be, or is this "cave" somehow bugged?

« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 02:28:53 am by ChickenLips »
Do not meddle in the affairs of chickens, for you are crunchy and taste like a good seedgrain.

(You are not a seedgrain?  Of course, you and I know that very well.  But does the chicken know it?)

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embarking at a cave -> Everything clumped on surface?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 02:56:11 am »

I think it's more or less as intended, although the clumps of trade goods and food and monsters is usually much much smaller than that.  Strange but not overly crazy.
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

ChickenLips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 02:59:11 am »

Ah, so the caves aren't actually caves in the sense of the caverns found underground?  Or is there usually a cave somewhere in that mess?
Do not meddle in the affairs of chickens, for you are crunchy and taste like a good seedgrain.

(You are not a seedgrain?  Of course, you and I know that very well.  But does the chicken know it?)

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 04:04:56 am »

Is there a small, hollow hill with openings into the depths anywhere on the map? That's the cave.
If there isn't, it's most likely a bug.
The trade goods are because the "cave" is home to a tribe of ettins. It's all stuff they've stolen during worldgen. If you were to visit a nearby town as an adventurer, they'd probably bawl your ears off about it and send you to off the ettins.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 06:20:52 am »

Could it be that the cave as dissapeared as a result of erosion?
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 08:01:08 am »

This has shown up in at least one other thread, and the cause of the bug is that there's a brook running directly through the region tile that should contain the cave entrance.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 08:57:15 am »

Ah, so the caves aren't actually caves in the sense of the caverns found underground?  Or is there usually a cave somewhere in that mess?
"Caves" mean surface caves where various big creature tribes take up residence in and proceed to pillage from surrounding civilisations for all worldgen history. "Caverns" are the things you find deep underground. It's possible for a Cave to be connected to a Cavern, but this is by no means a guarantee or even the norm.

Now, as others have pointed out, your Cave is bugged because of the brook. All that loot is meant to be there, but so too is an actual Cave.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Teach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 11:22:29 am »

Every cave I've been in has been connected to the caverns.

ChickenLips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 12:33:21 pm »

Good to know.  Yeah, I didn't see any cave, but then I didn't play it much further, thinking it'd pretty much be near-suicide to try to plop down within a stone's throw of that mess.    Definitely nothing that looks like a mound for sure.

Checking the bug tracker, I found what you guys are talking about, and threw my own worldgen parameters in the comments.