Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Custom Building Woes (solved!)  (Read 461 times)

Lord Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Custom Building Woes (solved!)
« on: June 10, 2010, 11:51:52 am »

Okay, so I do a lot of modding, mixing other people's mods together and the like. But I've noticed something very strange, and I thought I'd mention it here to make sure I'm not just being stupid somehow, before I post a bug report.

So, I've got a lot of custom buildings. But, upon loading, I find that for some reason about half of them simply don't show up under b>w> . I search around, and can't find any other place where they could be built from. There were no problems in the errorlog (current ones anyway, it was chock-a-block with old ones). So, first test:
I've had experience with the game not always looking at other material and tissue template files (than the default ones), or parts of the contents of them, so I think that perhaps I've simply fallen afoul of that. So I take the ones that don't want to work and transfer them from my own text files to building_custom.txt (the one the game comes with). I gen a new world, start up the game, and... no dice.
So, next I think perhaps there is a limit on the number of custom workshops you can have. So I remove about 6 of the working ones. Gen a new world, and... still no dice.
Perhaps it's the name of it causing a problem somehow? So I take one of the ones that won't work (the altar of nature from Genesis mod), and title it 'ROCKBALL' (one of the working ones, again from Genesis mod). Gen a new world, embark and... it appears! Great, so it's something to do with the name. I put the buildings I removed back, and rename all the ones that don't work to something else (ALTAR_NATURE TO N_ALT, for example), and try again. Now they refuse to appear again.
So, next test. Maybe it's something to do with the magic word 'ROCKBALL'. So I rename the now not-functioning altar of nature to 'NOT_ROCKBALL_1'. Gen new world, embark and... they don't appear again.
Last test. I download a fresh copy of df, and replace the objects folder with my new one. And I get the same problem still.

So, there you have it. Any ideas? I've looked on the bug tracker but there doesn't appear to be anything about this.

EDIT: I was using df 31.05 for this. I'm going to try .06 now.

EDITEDIT: I just tried .06. Again, no dice.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 01:17:13 pm by Lord Urist »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Building Woes
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 12:58:26 pm »

Are you remembering to modify your entity files to include the new workshops after you add them?  That's all I can think of.  Sounds like a silly thing to ask but I've done that myself more times than I can count.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Lord Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Building Woes
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 01:16:56 pm »

... now I feel stupid. Problem solved!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Building Woes (solved!)
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 02:02:41 pm »

Hehe, no problem.  Like I said, I did that myself more times I can count.  Glad I could help.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!