Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trouble building magma-safe mechanisms  (Read 533 times)

Rallion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trouble building magma-safe mechanisms
« on: June 10, 2010, 03:58:17 am »

I don't usually deal with magma at all, so I suppose it's possible that I'm missing something simple, but I can't imagine what it could be.

My dwarfs simply won't make mechanisms out of any magma-safe stones.

I have access to large amounts of several magma-safe stone types, and I have had no trouble making hatches and floodgates out of them just by using stockpiles. When I tried the same thing with my mechanic's shop, they simply walked past them and used non-safe stones. I tried forbidding the non-safe types, and then they just wouldn't build any mechanisms at all. I was still able to build safe hatches and floodgates, though.

Am I missing something, or is there a problem?

EDIT: Well, I just built a new mechanic's shop, and it seems fine now. Okay, then.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 04:04:13 am by Rallion »

Firehawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble building magma-safe mechanisms
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 04:04:23 am »

I think typically how people do it is to get your mason or whatever into a workshop with a stockpile of the stone you want him to build with nearby and then trap him in (usually by forbidding the only door in/out) while he makes a few things you need with the only stone available in the room and then let him out.

StrawberryBunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 05:27:07 am »

The new, proper way is to use burrows. Create a burrow with your workshop (mechanist's, in this case), your stockpile of material you wish to use (a stone stockpile containing only magma-safe rock), and then assign your mechanics to the burrow (either temporarily, just for the duration of the job, or permanently if you include a food stockpile and a bed within the burrow). The mechanist will consider everything outside the burrow forbidden, and thus use your magma-safe stockpile.
(16:25:13 ) (+strawberrrybunny) I've decided that I might as well put my almost encyclopedic knowledge of DF to use
(16:25:13 ) <+buttbot> I've decided that I might as well put my almost enbuttlopedic buttledge of DF to use

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 06:22:11 am »

Or you use a metalsmith forge in order to create these things. Mchanisms are under trap componements.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 09:33:13 am »

could be that you do not allow them to use the magma safe material, press Z and go to stone
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 10:09:36 am »

Easy way is to just build them out of iron or steel. Iron should be quite plentiful even if you don't have access to flux.