Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fine points of "magma safe"  (Read 634 times)

isabuea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
fine points of "magma safe"
« on: June 09, 2010, 05:26:38 am »

I need to have a large amount of bridges that are magma safe for a project I'm working on and the first one i created used 3 bauxite blocks and 5 limestone blocks.
since i selected bauxite first the bridge is a bauxite bridge but will it be melt-able because of the limestone or remain safe due to the label of bauxite bridge?

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: fine points of "magma safe"
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 06:16:04 am »

A building needs to be made entirely out of magma-safe materials for it not to melt when there is magma on one of its tiles. So your bridges will indeed melt.

isabuea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 06:17:31 am »

blast. ah well better i find out now than later on in the project

ItchyBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 06:32:12 am »

A building needs to be made entirely out of magma-safe materials for it not to melt when there is magma on one of its tiles. So your bridges will indeed melt.

'entirely' also includes any mechanisms used. If you have a magma safe bridge with a non-safe mechanism attached (even if the mechanism isn't attached to anything - e.g. from an old destroyed linkage) the entire thing will be destroyed by magma.

isabuea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 06:38:13 am »

the entire bridge would be destroyed? i thought it would just get stuck in the position it was in when the mechanisms melted

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 08:35:07 am »

If any of the mechanisms melt, the entire thing deconstructs, even if the mechanisms weren't doing anything.

Building elaborate magma-safe machines is a lot easier in 31.0x, because a lot more stones than just bauxite are magma-safe.  Also, you can built mechanisms out of metal in the latest version.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.