Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Etching Glass?  (Read 561 times)

coinich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Etching Glass?
« on: June 08, 2010, 08:16:13 pm »

Of course, I probably picked quite a complex idea to tinker with...

I want to have etched glass in the game.  I also want the items, when viewed, to have a description, like engraved walls or artifacts, if possible.  Nothing like a glass goblet that has the image of Urist McAxman striking down the Elven Diplomat Sulky on the Mountain of Winds in 266.

Anyways, I figure I need a few things: an ore, a reaction to convert the ore into an acid, a reaction to convert the glass into etched glass, a workshop to "house" these reactions, and finally a way to get the game to recognize my new etched glass stuff and make things, like useless piccolos and goblets and other tradey items.  If possible, I was kind of hoping the etching would also double the value of the item or so.  The biggest problem is that I can't find any RAWs on glass to work with; anyone know where they are?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Etching Glass?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 08:32:11 pm »

The RAWs for glass don't exist. The closest you can get to a new type of glass would be to create a new type of gem that didn't occur naturally and could only show up as the product in a reaction. As for the rest of your idea, I'm pretty sure it would be possible except I don't think that the description part would work without actually crafting the object at the craftsdwarf workshop to add the description.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 08:36:07 pm »

I tried to find some way to add colored glass, but havnt succeeded. Glass is still hardcoded. I have found an [IS_GLASS] tag but im not realy sure what that does. It doesnt add the material to the glass workshops.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Fourdots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 01:04:13 am »

Similarly, sort of, could one do the same thing with blocks? That is, engraving a block in a workshop, and allowing a description to be viewed when looking directly at the block. And, if so, how?

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 10:39:29 am »

Dwarves can add decorations to items such as an "image of dwarves in cave spider silk" and the like. Unfortunately blocks cannot be decorated, as far as I know.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

Fourdots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 10:46:07 am »

Dwarves can add decorations to items such as an "image of dwarves in cave spider silk" and the like. Unfortunately blocks cannot be decorated, as far as I know.

So, no way to mod it in? That's a pity.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 12:20:14 pm »

Blocks cannot be decorated, but you may be able to decorate glass windows. A glass window is considered a piece of furniture and you can decorate furniture.

Glass windows are made at the glass workshop.

Try making glass windows and then decorate the glass windows with gems, bone, and metal. You can add 1 decoration for each material type, so if you have access to a wide variety of bones and metals you can really cram a lot of decorations onto the window.