Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I don't get it....  (Read 701 times)

Avin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I don't get it....
« on: August 01, 2010, 08:20:05 pm »

So. I've got a nice little group going about 160 dwarfs all chilling out and doing dwarf stuff.
Recently I've dug into a cave network with plenty of hostile creatures in it. Not that big of a deal right?
So that I can bottle neck any creatures that try to come up into the heart of my fort I built a room around the stair way that leads back up, threw in a few beds, made a smaller room next to it with some tables and limited food and drink supplies. Set the bed room area as a barracks and then enlisted my 5th army with 4 members and set that room as an area for them to train. My hope was that they'd be down there doing their training and that way if anything tried to walk by they'd have to fight (aka kill) a hand full of my military dwarfs first.

Problem:
Ever other member of my fort has at one point found their way into this tinny bedroom and dining room. The four military dwarfs have never gone there to do any training and everyone else seems to love to go down there, eat and fall asleep on the stairs as they try to climb out. For what ever reason the vast majority of my dwarfs will pass by their own bedrooms, my legendary dining room, my over flowing food stocks to take a trip that is in the ball park of 250 steps (one way) out of their way and then get pissed about it. My nobles have even left their Grand quarters to go eat and sleep in this barracks so that they can be upset about it.

At this point I'm at a bit of a loss and I'm half tempted to just block off access to this area of my tunnels.

On a side note these 4 new military dwarfs in squad 5 won't pick up the rest of their armor, they've got only about two or three peices and the piles and piles of steal armor i've got just sitting around isn't good enough for them or something /shrug

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: I don't get it....
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 08:36:21 pm »

I remember placing a masterwork table of a valuable material in my dinning room.

Dwarves prefered to sleep there instead of in their own rooms. They threw parties and just enjoyed life there, not giving a rats ass about anything but that damn table... so that might be a reason. Give the military simple and crappy furniture.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 10:36:21 pm »

Dwarves not sleeping in their own beds is a confirmed bug for the new version.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Hokan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 10:57:09 pm »

My dwarves will often sleep in whatever is closest, not whatever is their room. If you set the areas of your bed-covered non-sleeping areas to restricted, it will usually offset the movement cost enough for them to go to dormitories or bedrooms. Doing it with my hospital solved lots of problems.
Valuing life seems too close to an aesthetic rule for me, I think.
Only in Dwarf Fortress is the value of life placed as "aesthetic."

Avin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 02:50:24 am »

Even if they're after the bed that is closest they're passing over 150 closer beds to get to this room.
I have a few guys that need to be down in that area to get some metal for the forges and I can understand that they want to get something to eat or take a nap along the way, the ones that confuse me are the guys that are way out of their way.

My squad that is assigned to that room has started to show up one or two at a time to train for a bit before leaving to do something else but for some reason I can't get them to pick up the rest of their equipment.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 04:49:34 am »

just get rid of whatever bed/table/furniture article that's causing the problem.

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 05:09:15 am »

Make a burrow for civilians and only include the food stockpile in it, so only the military actually uses the barracks? That burrow needs to be huge though to allow for normal work.
Restrict the traffic area via d-o-r so no civies may go there (dunno if it affects the non duty squad dwarfs though).
Did you set the squad to be active so they actually use that barrack? Did you assign them any other barracks?

And about the armor problem. Delete the squad, let them drop their current equip and recreate it - helped for me lots of times.
(a>b) ? false : true