Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Drowning Chamber  (Read 3394 times)

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
Re: Drowning Chamber
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 12:00:09 am »

Easiest way to make a drowning chamber is just a single dwarf powered pump. You can put it on the same Z level as the chamber itself, just protect it with a fortification. Then on the level above that put another pump so you can drain it out. Have it pump through a grate so nothing can escape or swim up out of the water.

Unless the drowning chamber is very huge you can just use a regular dwarf to pump the water/magma. A single dwarf can fill up a good size room within seconds if his pump has enough flow going to it.
Ah, yes, thank you for describing my project (posted earlier by two msgs) in plain words.  :D
Finis sanctificat media.

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 08:49:45 am »

I wasn't aware goblins had lungs, nor that wooden cages were completely air tight

Every air-breathing thing has lungs. I think you are referring to "gills".

Also, constructed wooden walls can't catch fire or burn in magma. Go figure.
lol my bad. gills*

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2010, 11:45:29 am »

ive built a number of drowing corridors - bear in mind that mega beasts will destroy your doors, levers, food gates etc. If this construction is on a top level of your fort and theres no emergency shut off further up your waters source you may loose your fort.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

MC Hammerbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2010, 12:48:25 pm »

My design is a 10x10 drowning chamber with drawbridges on either side, and a 3x3 hole in the floor covered by a retractable bridge.  There is a 10x10 4z-level high cistern above it that is constantly pressurized by a 3-pump-wide pump tower connected to the nearby river.  There are three levers: arming, drowning, flushing.

The arming lever merely slams the drawbridges shut on both sides, trapping the prey inside.
The drowning lever makes everything turn blue and dead pretty much instantly.
The flushing lever I'm actually rather proud of.  Not only does it drain the water almost instantaneously, but all of the corpses and equipment they drop goes down with them, sometimes swirling around the room a couple times on its way.  It falls down 10 z-levels (in case of stragglers or water-breathers) onto a grated floor.  Below the grates is a large system of channels that lead to edge-of-map drainage fortifications. Pulling the arming lever a second time also unlocks the doors to the collection chamber, and the flood of lizardman leather sock-snatching commences.

It's a dwarfishly large trap, but not too complex.  It's probably nothing to brag about, but I'm rather proud of it, as it's only my second attempt ever at actually constructing a trap.

(My first attempt was...bad.  Everybody drowned.  And then everybody burned.  And then everybody was encased in obsidian while the WORLD burned.   The survivors, sealed in their burning mountain, dug their own tombs, sealed themselves in, and engraved the walls as the end came.)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 01:25:54 pm »

(My first attempt was...bad.  Everybody drowned.  And then everybody burned.  And then everybody was encased in obsidian while the WORLD burned.   The survivors, sealed in their burning mountain, dug their own tombs, sealed themselves in, and engraved the walls as the end came.)

Awesome trap!   :D

One thing you could do is that since bridges have the same delay, you can dump water into the trap using a retracting bridge while at the same time, with the same lever, sealing off the tunnel with drawbridges. One pull of the lever and the trap is both sealed and flooded at the same time in the same instant.

The drawback to this is that you of course would not be able to torment them. I do like the idea of using them for target practice or sparring practice.

I actually prefer to make non-lethal traps for this very purpose. Its easy to make a splatter trap, or spike traps, or dumping them into magma. Thats easy. But capturing an entire siege completely unharmed is far more challenging. Then once that siege is captured I position my military at the exit to the pen, and open it up.

Fair is fair, after all. If the goblins can defeat my military then they will live. If not, I make totems out of their skulls. It also means my military gets lots of practice and lots of kills to their names.

You can of course stack the odds in your favor, such as covering the floor of the holding pen with spike traps linked to a lever. But rather than kill them you can mod in a blunt spike instead, one that does blunt instead of piercing damage. It won't kill anyone, but it will break all of their bones, crippling them.

Easier to use as target practice that way.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2010, 05:26:36 pm »

i use this.

side view
        H
X  XX  X
XGXX  X
XL      D
XXXXXX

X wall
H hach
G bars
l lever
D door (wall up when not killing nobles)
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Metroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2010, 07:02:54 pm »

I don't understand, is your lever in there where everything dies?
Euler's identity can be used to quickly (and informally) verify DeMoivre's Theorem.
Pages: 1 [2]