Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cpu upgrade  (Read 925 times)

cakeonslaught

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cpu upgrade
« on: June 06, 2010, 04:34:36 pm »

Will upgrading from my 2.5 Ghz, dual-core CPU to a 2.5 Ghz Quad-core have any effect on my DF frame rate? I'm assuming when they say 2.5Ghz that it applies to each core, so that's twice the power right? Can DF make use of more than one CPU? I'm noticing on my current processor it's only taking up about 50%.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
Re: Cpu upgrade
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 04:35:58 pm »

DF can only use one core.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

cakeonslaught

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 04:38:43 pm »

Thought so...

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 05:18:05 pm »

It's not twice the power. It's less, thanks to overhead from multiple CPUs. I think the system Windows uses means that multiple CPUs would be fighting for attention.. quality of it is actually much slower than a single core 2.5 Ghz because you're not utilizing the computing power.

I have an exam on this stuff in 2 weeks :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Total_Meltdown

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEEEEEEES!!!
    • View Profile
    • Blogus Arbitrarius
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 05:49:20 pm »

Study more.

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 05:50:24 pm »

It's not twice the power. It's less, thanks to overhead from multiple CPUs. I think the system Windows uses means that multiple CPUs would be fighting for attention.. quality of it is actually much slower than a single core 2.5 Ghz because you're not utilizing the computing power.

This isn't at all true. The "overhead" from multiple SMP cores is incredibly, incredibly marginal. If you're talking about core contention--not a significant issue in modern OSes with modern schedulers--you can provide hinting via affines if you're that worried about it. Yes, you're more likely to have unused cycles, but as the number of processes increase, the efficiency approaches 2X where X was the equivalently clocked single-core processor's processing capability.

I'll have to admit that I don't have an exam on the topic, but I do have an idea of how computers actually work.
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 06:17:28 pm »

I'd say stick with your dual-core and make it so that one core is dedicated to DF and the other core does everything else.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 06:19:37 pm »

I'd say stick with your dual-core and make it so that one core is dedicated to DF and the other core does everything else.

I just remembered hearing that the d## stuff just added to the new version causes the rendering to have it's own thread, so it can go on another core. Just that though.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 09:20:45 pm »

Last time I checked, DF had a few threads, maybe about 10? Unfortunately, one of those is The Big Thread that proably takes 95% of the processing.
Eh?
Eh!