Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Odd farming issue  (Read 473 times)

YellowPebble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Odd farming issue
« on: June 06, 2010, 12:42:19 pm »

My latest (third) fort had a bit of a hiccup getting farming up and running. I irrigated an area using the patent "murky pool" method, and defined a large farm plot overlapping all the muddy ground (I have a vague memory that the last time I did this, the farm ended up an odd shape and only as big as the muddied area itself, but this time it covered the whole area, including the few sqaures not muddy).
The farm plot was built (I had three dwarf with Farming(fields) on), and I specified Plump Helmets year round.
Unfortunately, no one came to plant them. I waited a couple of months, but nothing happened. I definitely had plump helmet spawn aplenty.
In desparation, I removed the farm plot and defined a smaller one, making sure this time not to overlap the stairs or any un-muddied ground. This time everything worked fine.
Any ideas why? Size? Muddy tiles (though surely it should have complained at the stage of building the plot?)? Bug of some kind?

StrawberryBunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Odd farming issue
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 02:54:18 pm »

if a farm building covers even a single non-muddy tile, the whole farm is defunct. Not sure if it's a bug or a feature, but that's the way it is.
(16:25:13 ) (+strawberrrybunny) I've decided that I might as well put my almost encyclopedic knowledge of DF to use
(16:25:13 ) <+buttbot> I've decided that I might as well put my almost enbuttlopedic buttledge of DF to use

YellowPebble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 03:34:28 pm »

Hmm. OK, thanks, good to know.
I'm wondering how consistent this is, though, because I'm pretty sure it worked differently last time I tried it. May be faulty memory, of course.
I would definitely say "bug", admittedly a very minor one, because the game gives no indication about this- the farm gets built and you can set its crops normally. In particular, when building a farm, you only get a "need mud" message if *none* of the farm covers mud.
Another odd issue- you get a "no mud for underground farm", when over muddy squares that are outside, which is both inaccurate and unhelpful.

ProZocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 06:43:50 am »

Aren't plump helmets a undergound crop as well? If you used the murky pool itself the area would be counted as aboveground right?
I always imagine dwarves to train as if fighting pretend monsters. "It's a carp, use your sword!" "Shwish! Shwoosh! It's dead!" "Oh no, it's a giant cave spider! Noo, it's got me! Kill it with your axe!" "Swoosh, I cut off its head!"
UNDEAD ELEPHANTS.HERDS OF THEM.EVEN IN DEATH I STILL GRAZE.