Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Worldgen advice  (Read 772 times)

alkar

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarrr!
    • View Profile
Worldgen advice
« on: June 07, 2010, 09:36:45 am »

I need a little bit of help here.

I've been reading up on the wiki, gen'ing new worlds like breeding cats but to no avail.

What I'm trying to accomplish is a Desert region with a Volcano. Of course, an Aquifer would be most welcome if it happens :)
I've been fiddling with worldgen parameters and can't really make a volcano appear in a desert region (or have been extremely unlucky so far).

Does anyone have any suggestions / tips?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 01:09:11 pm by alkar »

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worldgen advice.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 12:20:52 pm »

As the min volcanoes parameter specifies the number of volcanoes, regardless of other settings, just bump it to 500 or so and you'll increase the chances.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 12:22:29 pm »

Make the entire world a desert region.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 12:44:45 pm »

For deserts, you want rainfall between 0 and 9, drainage between 0 and 32, and elevation between 100 and 300. For volcanoes, make sure Volcanism is weighted towards the maximum, then crank up the # of volcanoes added in world gen (I normally use 50-100 volcanism and ~600 to ~800 volcanoes added; you'll need to hand edit worldgen.txt to do that).

Note that if you make the whole world a desert, it won't have any elves or humans. -- humans require a non-evil, non savage grassland, elves require non-evil, non-savage forest, etc.

Further questions, this link is the best source for values on what settings give what result :

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:Advanced_world_generation
40d, but appears to still be valid in the new version.

One big problem you're going to have is that generated volcanoes generally make "mountain" tiles on all sides, and mountains aren't deserts. The best way around that is to generate an assload of rivers (set "rivers" value to 1000 or so); the rivers will cut through the mountain tiles and you'll get non-mountain biomes areas around some of the volcanoes.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 12:46:38 pm by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy »

alkar

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarrr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 12:52:37 pm »

As noted by Dr. Hieronymous, I won't have elves or humans that way :/

Thanks for the detailed post Hieronymous, I'll try that! Although I'm pretty sure I can change these settings through the game in the new version ;)

Let's gen some more, thanks for the help! :D

PS.: I see why I have to hand-edit :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 12:56:28 pm by alkar »

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worldgen advice
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 03:53:28 pm »

I just accidentally genned a temperate temp sand desert with a volcano in it, and yellow sand has an aquifer.  So it's definitely possible.  Funny that I didn't mess around with too many settings when designing the world.  I put in more space between the first cave level and the surface, I turned off bottom layer, I changed erosion cycle count to 10, and turned off periodically erode high cliffs.  I've been trying to voodoo up a natural waterfall with no luck and had read your post just this morning.  Weird.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 12:30:25 pm »

As noted by Dr. Hieronymous, I won't have elves or humans that way :/

Well, you could always mod them to use desert terrain. ;D
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 03:49:14 pm »

The old dilemma of "I want my volcano next to other terrain" is solved by maximising the elevation and volcanism variances. Tweak the mesh of elevation so as to bias the middle to upper elevation levels. Get rid of or vastly reduce the "minimun number of [biome] tiles" checks so you don't face unnecessary rejects. All previous advice from Dr. Hieronymous Alloy still apply.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

alkar

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarrr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 04:22:12 pm »

The old dilemma of "I want my volcano next to other terrain" is solved by maximising the elevation and volcanism variances. Tweak the mesh of elevation so as to bias the middle to upper elevation levels. Get rid of or vastly reduce the "minimun number of [biome] tiles" checks so you don't face unnecessary rejects. All previous advice from Dr. Hieronymous Alloy still apply.

Yes, minimizing the "minimum number of X squares" saves the trouble of endless rejects. I did manage to generate a few worlds that had the elements I was looking for but the best results came from using the world painter.

Spent some quality time with the painter and used the default settings (all in a pocket world of course, 16x16 tiles are enough to paint by hand :P) and the results are splendid.

Thanks for the advice again, everyone :)