Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Abandon the fortress?  (Read 566 times)

Future

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Abandon the fortress?
« on: May 09, 2007, 10:05:00 am »

I was thinking about this for ages, people make these huge fortress and in the end it just gets abandoned. What i thought might be a good idea is that when you go back in adventure mode and kill all the monsters inside it should be repopulated and turn into a town. Do you think its a good idea or wouldn't it work?

hactar1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Abandon the fortress?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 10:30:00 am »

You can do exactly that in the "Reclaim Fortress" mode.  Of course that doesn't make it a town in adventure mode, but there are all sorts of issues that would need to be dealt with if adventure mode players could visit a living Fortress.  Would the events that happened when you were in Adventure mode carry over to when you reloaded it in Fortress mode?

Future

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 10:36:00 am »

Maybe, at least it would add to the history of the fortress if it did carry over.

SquidDNA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 02:08:00 pm »

What if you spent a year going in and out of there and nobody planted anything everyone starved?
Relicnews Forums Fleet Biologist

Future

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 02:30:00 pm »

How i ment for it to turn back into a town was that it would be like the human town or in this case the dwarven halls. I didnt really think about how they were going to feed themselves because they dont really do it now when you wander around a town watching them.

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 04:05:00 pm »

Just think of all those mandates that would get ignored... The hammerer would be going 24/7

JPolito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jpolito.zlique.org/
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 05:07:00 pm »

I don't think they would have to be doing too much work. Standing around would appear to be enough of a fortress. It would be funny if you could arrive just as a siege was happening, though.

Future

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 02:58:00 am »

Arriving while a siege was going would be cool because then you could help your civ either take the fortress or defend it.

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 09:24:00 am »

I think we would either need a better AI to manage fortresses when we 'abandon' them, or have a system similar to Human towns where they do nothing...

... or have an infinite supply/delivery system where dwarves appear to be performing tasks (carrying items around, eating, drinking, milling, cooking, growing) but infact nothing is being introduced/removed from the system.

Any attempt to steal such items would result in the fortress guard piling in on your ass and causing major pain.

- Markavian

Future

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2007, 05:46:00 am »

Ok thought about another idea, if repopulating and making it into a town is too hard to do then how about making it into a base of operations or house. So you have a place to put your heros and somewhere to store your items, also a nice bed to sleep in instead of sleeping on uncomfortable stone floor.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2007, 12:15:00 pm »

Really, the AI isn't that bad.  If the fortress automatically replaced any jobs that were cancelled every so often, automatically replaced fields after the winter had past, and automatically irrigated them it could probably last indefinitely as long as nobody interefered and demands were switched off.

...the irrigation bit is the hardest, since there's no way the AI is going to tell that lever X is the floodgates.  So that would probably need to be kludged.  But everything else is pretty simple.

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2007, 05:19:00 pm »

The easiest way to fix that is to have them have a value for tiles that would allow the computer to automatically have it turn to mud in the spring behind peoples backs and then automatically make farms. But it would probably be a better idea to assign the value as a list of coordinates.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2007, 01:33:00 am »

To some extent there's the speed issue here, depending on how many carry overs there are from dwarf mode.  Of course I hope to make things faster, but dwarf mode will probably always be slower than adventure mode and just walking down a hall might take a while.  Doing AI for farm type jobs isn't so bad, but if people want the fortress to actually use resources there are many problems.  I'll probably have an abandon option at some point, but it might just rely on magic food barrels like the human towns, until they are farming too.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Sharpshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2007, 02:28:00 am »

Well, you dont realy need to have a Res. You can simply do a pop check and set X farmers to work, and have them "fake" store food. They can also use the pop to determan how many farms to have.
Example A:
Pop = 100
10 Farmers work on farm
At end of day farmers "fake" store food in a barrel, they dont realy store food but it looks like it and the player thinks they did.

Example B:
Pop = 101
Pop > 100 so farmers are ordered to build a second farm
10 Farmers work on farm
1 Farmer works on new farm