Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF:2010 Mayday Graphical mod shows characters as black squares  (Read 4664 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I apologise if seeking help with a mod isn't quite what this particular forum is for, but I have nowhere else to turn.

I've been using the Mayday tileset, which is very widespread, for as long as I've played DF, and I have found that his latest version seems to be a tad faulty when used in 2010.

In short, certain characters such as dragons, giants and other creatures are shown as black squares, whereas some are shown simply as their letter. For example, elk are shown as an E, as are elves.

I thought that it might make life easier if I show you an example:

That gem is apparently a foul blendec, the dwarf appears as a simple dwarf head and the black square visible is a dragon.

Have I simply installed this incorrectly? I've been playing it without the tileset, but I just don't find it as enjoyable.

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF:2010 Mayday Graphical mod shows characters as black squares
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 12:24:57 pm »

I am using Mayday as well, and it seems that only happens (the black squares) in arena mode.  Fortress mode and such seems to be working fine, though doctors appear to be purple skeletons, things are generally easy to distinguish from one another.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 12:44:50 pm »

I am using Mayday as well, and it seems that only happens (the black squares) in arena mode.  Fortress mode and such seems to be working fine, though doctors appear to be purple skeletons, things are generally easy to distinguish from one another.

So it's merely an issue with the version as opposed to installation? Thank you, I shall await an update for the pack.

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 12:48:40 pm »

Yes, for some reason arena mode and the graphics conflict or something, so just try doing adventure/fortress mode until things get updated more.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 12:54:03 pm »

Yes, for some reason arena mode and the graphics conflict or something, so just try doing adventure/fortress mode until things get updated more.

I noticed a slight problem in the world gen though, as some of the numbers abruptly became black squares. However, things do seem to be fairly normal as you've said.

Coded One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 02:15:13 pm »

Or you could always start playing with the original graphics.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 02:16:49 pm »

Some of the black is periodic. Save, quite, restart.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 03:15:31 pm »

Or you could always start playing with the original graphics.

This problem is essentially solved, but honestly, does everyone have to snap back with these comments on the subject of graphical mods? Although I appreciate your suggestion, isn't it our choice as to whether or not we use the ASCII? I dislike the look of it, but that's my opinion. Why is that a problem?

I have played this game with the original graphics and I did not enjoy it. For me, "Dwarfiness" only goes so far, as I do not feel that the ASCII is entirely necessary for the full DF experience. Personal opinions exist, whether some of us like it or not.

However, thank you for the help and advice that you have all given, I shall take it into account and I hope you all enjoy the new version.

# As I don't want to bump the thread, thank you battlecat for your insight on the matter. Knowledge is always helpful.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 05:03:34 pm by Owlbread »

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 04:02:22 pm »

Isn't part of the problem from the fact that graphics transparency and a number of other OpenGL features are part of the D# series that hasn't been merged in yet?  Also, there might be a bunch of new critters that don't have graphics entries in the current edition.  It'll be fixed all in good time I'm sure. 

Unbeliever

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 09:19:45 am »

Isn't part of the problem from the fact that graphics transparency and a number of other OpenGL features are part of the D# series that hasn't been merged in yet?  Also, there might be a bunch of new critters that don't have graphics entries in the current edition.  It'll be fixed all in good time I'm sure. 

I was wondering this myself - the wiki says [not in initial release] above translucent tilesets. Explains why I just broke the game after attempting to add some in ;D

pra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 01:24:03 pm »

having the problem as well, also in fortress mode.
it seems the graphics have "shifted", miners look like farmers, farmers like engineers, etc

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 07:28:50 am »

having the problem as well, also in fortress mode.
it seems the graphics have "shifted", miners look like farmers, farmers like engineers, etc

You're a month late - this was posted in April.
If you've been reading the forums, or indeed this thread, you'll see that MayDay's pack has not been updated for the latest version.

pra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 07:46:43 am »

well, I kinda fixed it. It just cost me all of my savegames.

I have the impression DF caches the graphics somehow, as I deleted everything, installed anew and started a new game with a fresh world, everything worked...