Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dragons...pets?  (Read 881 times)

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dragons...pets?
« on: June 04, 2010, 06:26:15 pm »

So I've just captured a dragon in a cage trap and I'm not entirely sure what the hell do do with it. I'm tempted to make it a pet and have it hang around with my growing menagerie of domesticated megabeasts. Current count is 1 hydra, 3 bronze colossi and now the dragon. My concern is this, 40d by the way, how indoor friendly is an, albeit trained, fire breathing lizard?
Urist McDwarf cancels wear pants: Just because

Kazang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dragons...pets?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 06:36:23 pm »

The best way to find out is by doing it.  For science of course.

They are pretty safe just don't let anything that's not fireproof get in front of it when it attacks.

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 06:59:22 pm »

a good reason to do anything. Ok I'll give it a go and report in. I'm thinking about, after I train it, tossing it into my arena and just dropping goblins down to watch the fireworks.
Urist McDwarf cancels wear pants: Just because

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 07:02:20 pm »

Your dwarves should be safe, unless it has killed one. Then it will keep on killing them, and your dorfs will do nothing.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

troodon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 07:09:45 pm »

My last fort (died to FPS) had a couple tame dragons chained up, one in each dining hall.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 08:38:42 pm »

I'm unsure of if Toady has changed this. Previously, if a wild animal killed a dwarf and was then tamed it would continue to be violent. However, he may have fixed this bug in DF2010. I haven't actually gotten far enough to find out.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 10:16:23 pm »

Very indoor friendly.  Warms the place up nicely in winter should any kobold or equivalent sneak up to it

Fourdots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 01:13:29 am »

I'm unsure of if Toady has changed this. Previously, if a wild animal killed a dwarf and was then tamed it would continue to be violent. However, he may have fixed this bug in DF2010. I haven't actually gotten far enough to find out.

I wouldn't call that a bug. I would call it a feature. Once they have tasted blood, they can never be tamed!

Dwarfs not realizing this and running away/attacking it would be a bug, though.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 04:52:33 am »

a good reason to do anything. Ok I'll give it a go and report in. I'm thinking about, after I train it, tossing it into my arena and just dropping goblins down to watch the fireworks.

If you do this, his name will get longer if he doesn't have 5 or 15 kills yet. If it's already pretty long then he probably has 15 kills already.

I had a Giant Cave Spider named Purplesecrets get an a pretty cool name I can't remember now. It implied that if you respected Purplesecrets then he would respect you. I took this to mean feeding him all my naked goblin prisoners from then on.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit