Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A couple of minor thoughts  (Read 372 times)

ArchMageOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A couple of minor thoughts
« on: May 09, 2007, 03:05:00 am »

I was recently reading the forums and the list of future ideas and thought of three specific things I'd like to be able to do.

1) I'd like to be able to reenact the battle of Helm's Deep.   :p  I know it's getting cliche, but it'd be cool to have a scenario or something where you have a long time to prepare your perfect fortress (only minor attacks) then you have to survive a massive seige.

2) When the rewalling is implemented, it'd be nice to be able to use it to build buildings outside.  I imagine this would be a natural consequence of rewalling (or nearly so), but related to that, I was thinking that adding a command to quarry rock would be nice.  It'd require some skill, but if successful, it would create large blocks of stone.  I figure that a large block would just count as two normal blocks for building, but I also figure that rewalling would require more than a single boulder or (normal) block.

3) This is related to the wizard towers.  I've always wanted to play a game where I can take my treasure and build an intricate dungeon around it and watch as others attempt to get through it.  I don't know exactly how this would factor into the game, but it'd be nice to be able to share a dungeon (possibly after you abandon/finish it) with others.  If not, having a mode where heroes attempt to steal your treasure would still be fun.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: A couple of minor thoughts
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 04:12:00 am »

1. You can do this already. Just make your fort in an area where goblins /humans have access, set your population cap to (around) 100, and make 80ish % of your population into military. 5% smiths, 10% farmers, 5% other (miners, carpenters, etc) and when you're ready, start attacking human caravans, or exporting so much wealth onto the friendly caravans that goblins attack you. Ta-da. Helms Deep.

2. Rewalling 'outside' will happen eventually anyways, in order for human and elven towns to work... It'd definintely be nice to make a brick-work fort around your entrance, but that's for later. In the mean time, look at the utilities page in the DF wiki; there's a program called "Granite" there that will restore the wall on the tile your cursor is on.

3. This is also planned for future releases, but unfortunetly you can't really do it at the moment in any case, because:
- Traps cannot be detected or disarmed in adventure mode; they're also highly lethal
- Sieging parties want to kill your dwarves, not steal trinkets.

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Ookpik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 02:55:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Mechanoid:
<STRONG>or exporting so much wealth onto the friendly caravans that goblins attack you.</STRONG>

Wait, does that mean that goblin attacks depend on how much you export?  I totally didn't know that.

g+@@T@+

The intruder arose, casting off its black cloak.  "Behold, stunted jesters!  It is I, Scuro!"  A jagged scar marked the goblin's face from eye to chin, his greasy mane gray and wild, and about his neck was the broken silver amulet, strapped together by a leather band.

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 09:29:00 am »

Ooh yeah. Helms deep, year after year after year after year after year...

... I think my fortress Bodice Tempests was on its 14th Siege when I left it (to start a new fort).

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 11:05:00 am »

What attracts them more? Offerings or trade? Becuase I always buy out the caravans then I generally load them down with offerings to get rid of the useless junk.