Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do custom workshops make noise?  (Read 911 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Do custom workshops make noise?
« on: June 02, 2010, 01:03:33 pm »

(search only revealed one other thread on topic at all, one of mine)

I have a library custom workshop. It makes no sense at all for this to make noise.

Do custom workshops make noise? If so can it be turned off with a tag.

Deon, any ideas? (Yes, people are starting to notice you in the modding community).

This is somewhat important given that I want my bedrooms around my recreational workshops.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do custom workshops make noise?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 05:01:34 am »

As I recall, a workshop generates noise in a 3-tile radius didn't it? You can still have your bedrooms around your workshops provided they're placed in some nice hallway that leads off to the bedrooms.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 06:24:05 am »

Where did you get the whole noise stuff? As far as I know, it's a stuff of the past which was removed along with other stuff you no longer see in the game.

P.S. I am not entirely sure about it, but I tried to produce noise and failed :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 09:34:17 am »

Workshops don't produce noise.  Only things like mining, smoothing and engraving do, maybe some other things.  I can't find the quote, but I believe Toady said as much sometime in the past, and my own experience seems to confirm it.

And yes, I heard before that workshops produced noise as well.  Think it was just a rumor.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 10:44:10 am »

Yeah, I forgot to say that mining definitely makes noise. That's the workshop noise I was suspicious about.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 12:15:24 pm »

Cool, I just remember reading this in the d40 wiki sometime ago. I remember it said that workshops generated noise is a 4 tile 3D radius whereas combat or logging did so in an 8 tile 3D radius.

My forts have been needlessly spread out.... :P

Wonderful and thank you all.

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 04:52:09 pm »

According to 40d

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:Noise

could still be applicable to 04.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 05:15:31 pm »

Eating is believed to cause noise within 1 or 2 tiles; probably 1. It is unknown whether the noise radiates from the eating dwarf or his food.

Source: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:Noise
This one made my day.
"Please do not eat me!" - screamed a plump helmet.
"Om nom nom", - screamed a dwarf.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 11:04:32 am »

I've tested it by putting a workshop near a bed and performing a job; the dwarf immediately got up and had a new "slept uneasily due to noise" thought. So, yes, workshops DO produce noise in a 4-tile radius. Custom workshops I don't know about.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 03:14:16 am »

shoot

Please don't quote me.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 09:26:41 am »

Clearly, this is a feature that effects fortress design to a major degree.

We should formally experiment with this like we did in d40 with an isolated area specifically created to eliminate any other sources of noise.

It should of course be recorded, replicated and revised in the wiki. Proof.

If it conflicts with something Toady has said, then show it to him. Perhaps report as a bug.

Please don't quote me.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 10:45:25 am »

It will be like mythbusters!  With longer beards!  And a higher chance of insanity, mutilation, and death!

Urist Redbeard cancels get to a safe distance: Missing eyebrow.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!