Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Looking for a [medium] challenge for my next fort...  (Read 2093 times)

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a [medium] challenge for my next fort...
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2010, 04:22:26 pm »

Whichever challenge you pick, make it in a terrifying biome.  With an aquifer.  And no trees. And salt water.

There are all kinds of challenges to add without committing to/or in addition to some artificial restriction.

Also elaborate machinery and fortress design add a lot.

Build a fortress where every single room can be isolated and flooded with magma.  In case of a beserk dwarf or a thief.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2010, 05:19:59 pm »

Build a fortress where every single room can be isolated and flooded with magma.  In case of a beserk dwarf or a thief.

I've done something similar, except made it so that every single room can be flooded. My doomsday machine would leave absolutely no air pockets at all.

To do this I had to create an extensive network of "air ducts" feeding in around to all the rooms of my fortress, and for some unknown reason its only separated from a huge water cistern by a retracting bridge...

Pay no attention to the red lever locked behind that clear glass door!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2010, 06:14:59 pm »

Mods are an alternate way to change difficulty. In fact, Genesis Mod has a handy building called "display case" so once you build your skull totems, you can turn them into stationary buildings without having to put a 1x1 stockpile or dump.

That sounds pretty good, especially the display case. But I am using version 0.28.181.40d, and I can't find the corresponding version of Genesis. How can I add display cases to my game?
Custom buildings didn't exist back in 40d. I guess a medium challenge would be to just get used to DF2010 with its existing quirks and bugs.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2010, 06:46:12 pm »

Pay no attention to the red lever locked behind that clear glass door!

The red lever/glass door is a classy touch.  I'll have to steal that.

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2010, 02:49:47 pm »

Army Camp

The royal king has demanded that you and your party go ahead of the army and build a small camp within marching distance of the goblin tower. You must make accomidations for all the arriving soldiers, and make sure you forge weapons for those whom we draft. Only minimally can you use our recruits for production.

Translated:

-Starting  7 construct/produce food
-All migrants are millitants that must arrive and be provided with weapons and such
-Only a few dwarf migrants are allowed to work with your 7
-make sure you provide accomidations for all your dwarves. 4 per tent/room sounds good
-Champions should get priority
-Marksdwarves hunt while not fighting
-Low level soldiers can mine when not fighting
-The caravan is a supply delivery. Just make sure to give them provisions for the trip back

Bonus:

-Embark onto a map with a goblin base to siege
-Embark onto a map in a terrifying biome
-Sieze all human and elf caravan goods.
-Kill all humans and elves. Scouts!
-Make your entire camp outside
-Siege and take the goblin base
Meowth! That's right!
Pages: 1 [2]