Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: engraved room design  (Read 657 times)

troodon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
engraved room design
« on: June 04, 2010, 04:46:44 pm »

According to the wiki, engraved walls only increase the value of one room, so I figure that the ideal dwarven bedroom block will have walls 2 blocks thick so that each room has its own full set of engraved walls.  Are there existing bedroom designs that take this into account?  I haven't seen any on the wiki.

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
Re: engraved room design
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 05:02:12 pm »

On the other hand, how does the game decide which room gets the benefit of the engraving?
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 05:59:02 pm »

My standard bedroom design has been 3x3 rooms with 2-tile thick walls for a long time now. It really is just a grid of 3x3 rooms dug out with enough space to have each room get its own walls with no overlap. Mind, in DF2010 that grid has to shift around a lot to miander around ore and gems. Important dwarves get a room where there used to be a gem cluster, just so they can say "my floor is more expensive than yours" without me having to lay a precious metal carpet.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 06:02:24 pm »

On the other hand, how does the game decide which room gets the benefit of the engraving?
Whichever side the engraver engraved from, I think.
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...