Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How important, on a scale of 1 to 10, is drinking water for you?

1 - Not important, you don't even bother.
- 3 (2.1%)
2 - The last thing on your list.
- 18 (12.8%)
- 27 (19.1%)
4 - You try to get it setup by the end of autumn
- 24 (17%)
5 - You try to get it setup by the end of summer
- 16 (11.3%)
6 - You try to get it setup by the end of spring
- 9 (6.4%)
- 7 (5%)
- 4 (2.8%)
9 - Pretty important, but not the most important.
- 25 (17.7%)
10 - The FIRST thing you set up.
- 8 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 141

Voting closed: June 05, 2010, 01:16:28 pm

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Poll: How important is drinking water to you?  (Read 2798 times)

pyrAmider

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Poll: How important is drinking water to you?
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2010, 08:32:22 am »

I bring as much booze as I can carry *and* dig to find cavern drinking water as soon as possible.  But I may be a bit of an outlier in that I only embark in biomes without open water (e.g. arctic, desert, freezing mountains).

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2010, 10:04:27 am »

Its actually more efficient to keep the drinking of your dwarves to a minimum, if you want to be a cruel slavedriver.

With only 1 still on brewing I never make enough booze to keep an entire fortress liquored up. But enough booze is made so that everyone gets a drink of booze on occasion. Just often enough to keep them from working slowly, but most of the time they just drink from a well, which is done far faster than drinking booze from a barrel.

This means less idle time and more work time.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2010, 10:05:06 am »

I plan for it sometimes. Sometimes not. It's unimportant to me, as dorfs can live with booze.

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2010, 11:12:35 am »

I try to embark in places with a river for this reason, I'll wall/floor off the river completely and connect it to my fortress giving a natural water/fishing source and convenient access for later water wheels.

Of course, this takes alot of time unless the landscape is perfectly formed around the river and it's already mostly walled off, so I have to wait a year or so for enough migrants to arrive and make my army of masons. I embark with enough drink to keep my dwarves happy for a while, and setting up food shops is always one of my first priorities

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2010, 11:18:47 am »

Hi!

I am doing surface farming, so I don't need irrigation. However, I want my dwarves to survive, so I need the water for patients and prisoners, so I always make sure that I can expect some water sources to be available in a time of need. However, in my last fortresses, I have not created explicit wells instead relying on what is naturally there. Still, water is one of the main pillars of my fortress.

Deathworks

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2010, 11:28:57 am »

I try to embark in places with a river for this reason, I'll wall/floor off the river completely and connect it to my fortress giving a natural water/fishing source and convenient access for later water wheels.

Of course, this takes alot of time unless the landscape is perfectly formed around the river and it's already mostly walled off, so I have to wait a year or so for enough migrants to arrive and make my army of masons. I embark with enough drink to keep my dwarves happy for a while, and setting up food shops is always one of my first priorities

If you have a brook there is a clever little trick you can use to make it vanish, turning it into an underground river.

First, construct floors or walls over the entire thing. Floors are easier for obvious reasons, but any construction works fine.

Then tear down all of those constructions.

Building and removing a construction reverts the brook tile to regular ground tiles, which can grow grass on them in time. As there is no soil under it you won't get trees, but you'll get grass and the brook will be entirely inaccessible unless you tap into it otherwise. This can be useful for enforced drinking zones.

Drinking zones don't work all that well, and its very common for dwarves to ignore the clean and safe water inside your fortress to venture outside to drink from the brook, only to be slaughtered by skeletal giant lions.

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2010, 09:03:02 pm »

Hah interesting, and yea I noticed that too. maybe they should implement a system where you can increase priority for zones (instead of just dwarves choosing by preference) my last fort I went through so much effort to centralize my fortress near the river and use the landscape to wall it over, then build an outside fort around that area just cause, then half the time they were running off into the wilds to find some random ass pond to wash in, that pond usually happened to be right next to the chasm filled with cave swallowmans and other nefarious beasts.

eventually I just extended my influence to cover more ponds and they got the idea

more often than not I like to take control of things like rivers and other important features of the above ground landscape just cause it makes me feel cool, so it's all good

LordShotGun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2010, 09:13:02 pm »

Hmm, I usually only set up drinking water once someone get injured...so it really depends.
Must... eat... demon raaaaaaat! ARGLEBARGLEBARGLEBARGLE *CRASH* OMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

Tastes like... SAAAATAAAAAAAN!

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2010, 10:23:51 pm »

Before the first year I try to set up a small well like 2 squares of a well, and then I get dwarfs to bring water in and drop it off by a hospital beginnings, and then later like year 3-5 I try to set up a massive water system, that is either always pumping or enough to last my dwarfs 10ish years without any other water source. I always go on ocean maps though. So its actually a pretty intensive process. But I just like things that involve machinery.

Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz
Pages: 1 2 [3]