Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Using the game for a D&D game map?  (Read 3224 times)

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Re: Using the game for a D&D game map?
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2010, 02:19:10 pm »

If it were me, I'd launch various games and build up the towns of key points, dungeons, etc, etc. Then leave the space between open to interpretation.

I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about.

However you aren't going to have a full world size map that's in fortress modes style.

Export the map or use Perfect World (see thread in this subforum)
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2010, 02:21:02 pm »

Also, if you'd be interested, I know I may get in trouble for it or something, but w/e. Minecraft, another game, sorta similar to dwarf fortress (very very vaguely) it's a 3D game where you run around as single person and build environments. If you felt like learning that you might be able to make your maps that way. Not to mention you have a very large grid allowed to you.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2010, 11:08:47 pm »

due to the way DF handles Z-levels it might be a bit of a pain making a map layout unless you started on a completely flat map without hills, or atleast removed the hills.
that way you could have a lot more control over how the buildings transition from floor to floor.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

RagNoRock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2010, 12:47:40 pm »

Im actualy playing through a fortress now to do something similar :)

Im playing the fortress through till I get to the Fun on the botom.  I will be DMing a party of 6 or so Dwarf Only adventurers.  They will be dungon crawling to clear the fortress of the Evil.

Im fully playing through it so I can have an accurate set of Dwarfs, Artifacts and Special events to add in.  For example, my Guard Commander is my primary dual Axe Wielding battle dwarf.  A pair of artifact steel high boots was created with an image of him beheading another dwarf that went crazy in Forgoten Beas bone.   Which will make an exelent artifact item to give the players after they defeat him (he will be a baddarse solo guy :)).  The main shafts of the fortress would be sealed by grates or floorhatches which the explorers need to search out and activate, forcing them to encounter more baddys.

I plan on running through the fortress in adventure mode on my TV (desktop hooked up to it for game time) and running DF on my laptop in DF mode so I can see where they are and whats around them.  Adventure mode will let them keep an accurate map of the area w/o them seeing to far away or having the whole area revealed. 

My problem is that I need the Adventure mode Dwarf to be invincible and be able to modify how much light he can shed.  I have no modding experiance so do yall have any suggestions?

animandan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2010, 01:55:36 pm »

If you're looking for a tool to actually play DnD with, you should look into maptool, though I'm guessing that's too complicated for your needs.  If you just need a map to print off and play with there are plenty of random dungeon (or whatever else you need) generators out there, just google "random dungeon generator"

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2010, 05:15:15 pm »

The problem with randomly generated maps is that the maps are random. All pointless and aimless, with no reason for any room or corridor being there.

With a fortress there is a purpose for each room and passage. The purpose may be a completely insane purpose, but at least there is a purpose.

Its a great starting point but it does need work. Consider a mature fortress. Age it. Randomly collapse some tunnels, flood some of the lower areas. Furniture and wooden items or supports rot, valuable things may be scattered or stolen. Essentially, abandon a fortress and then in your mind's eye, age it 100 years. Neglect and rot will set in, making it far more interesting.

You cannot simply copy and paste it, its not going to work. Instead use the concepts of a fortress.

Boatmurdered would make an absolutely outstanding dungeon crawl, if a disturbing dungeon crawl.
Pages: 1 [2]