Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: milking  (Read 718 times)

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
milking
« on: June 06, 2010, 09:02:08 am »

do dwarfs still milk caged critters? if they do, do they return them to thier pen?  my frame rate is crap atm so I am butchering and caging most of my animals but I would still like a way to produce cheese
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: milking
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 11:11:29 am »

Not sure about cages, but I know that they'll do it with chained animals. I use 1x1 pens with a pet-forbidden door - that way they can't path. Dwarfs will drag them out of those chains and milk them and another dwarf will (as soon as they're out of chains, before they get milked) come to put them back.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 11:50:07 am »

never done chaining before, is it one chain one cow type deal? more impotently can you do more than one chain in a square?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 12:13:37 pm by dakenho »
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 08:31:01 pm »

I believe they will milk animals in cages, and they'll even put them back, but the milking and returning jobs are separate tasks. It's not unheard of for one dwarf to be hauling the cow to the workshop and have another dwarf trying to put the cow back. So you might want to put the cage next to the farmer's workshop.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 03:49:12 am »

1 chain/square, 1 animal/chain

Dwarves will milk animals in cages.

Don't worry about the "Urist McMilker cancels milk animal: Handling dangerous creature" message spam, that's just the milker trying to do the next job and realising the cow is still in the workshop from the last milking job.  Also, it might be a good idea to put the workshop near a meeting are, with the cage between them, so that there's less hauling when someone finally remembers to put the cows back in their cage.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 02:59:53 pm »

thanks will just cage them, I would need an awfully big stable and milking room to use chains.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 03:08:14 pm »

But cages mean they're less likely to produce offspring. They only get exposed to reproduction spores while they're being milked, which isn't often. If you want that sort of delayed growth to your livestock, then cages are fine yes.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.