Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Courier colossus and other applications of adventure mode  (Read 2206 times)

Leerok the Lacerta

• Bay Watcher
  • Linuxer
    • View Profile
    • The Online Journal of Leerok the Lacerta
Courier colossus and other applications of adventure mode
« on: May 24, 2010, 08:14:05 pm »

In my latest games, I've been playing a good mix of both adventure mode and fortress mode. I've also enabled playing as all creatures, so I could be born as a short-lived monarch butterfly or a raging bronze colossus.

One thing I like to do is to decimate entire towns as a colossus, experimenting with various methods of wrestling, and gather all the equipment in backpacks. I'll also visit previous fortresses and gather things that another one of my fortresses might lack, such as stone for those fortresses which are cursed with an aquifer, and dump them at the fortress by the hundreds. This allows one to have things which are otherwise impossible to have, such as rock querns or glass. Sometimes, I might even use a colossus to train up and gather equipment for one of my previous adventurers so that it is able to stand against forgotten beasts.

I generally like to think that I'm some sort of god, taking the form of some living being or another to further a greater cause, namely, Fun. It's pretty fun to be able to create a character, "retire" it, come back as a benevolent bronze colossus, train the character, and then decimate the world as a mortal.

I've been having so much Fun that my saved game, by itself, takes 1.4GB uncompressed. I'm wondering if anyone else does similar things.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: Courier colossus and other applications of adventure mode
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 10:40:09 pm »

in 40d16 I ended up mixing fort mode and adv mode with the use of utilities and mods(slavery enhancer and dwarf companion to say a few). I done some tests with the abilities one can gain access with in fort mode if one retired and regain control of said character in fort mode.
so far the difference is that just swapping to the other civ the adventurer with any high/named kill count would lead to them being heroes and one needs to de-noble them by either re-stealing them with a utility.

hermit challenge or the hunter challenge is really fun when you can abandon the fort with your dwarf(s) and come back to them in adventure mode. the only thing I need to know how to do is the heavy bin adventure/fort storage. Seems I can tell a adventure to store and item in a chest and drop it but I can't tell a citizen to store a preserve hydra brain into a bin and abandon it.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 10:49:28 pm »

I must know how you got a butterfly... and yes, playing as colossi is fun. not FUN, fun. its only FUN for the humans.

Leerok the Lacerta

• Bay Watcher
  • Linuxer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 11:50:09 pm »

I must know how you got a butterfly... and yes, playing as colossi is fun. not FUN, fun. its only FUN for the humans.

Well, I programmed a crude utility a while ago for the 2008 version. It still works, to a degree, for DF2010, but almost precisely half of the last entries will be bad. Just remove the bad entries from entity_adventurise.txt and you'll be able to play as a butterfly, beetle, centaur, cave dragon, olm, or whatever. I believe this works for any modded creatures as well, as long as certain naming conventions for the raw files are followed. Also don't forget to remove any backup files that your text editor may leave behind.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=771

On a related note, I'm wondering whether this or something else I'm doing causes all wildlife to be extinct. For some reason, my games do not contain wild animals. My dwarves do not hunt and I never encounter wolves or bears. It may also be because I have 1000 titans and they eat all the wildlife. Whatever the case, it seems possible that this utility may have something to do with it.

Also, this utility works with Python 2, not 3. Perhaps I should update it at some point.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 12:14:49 am »

when playing as a colossi, or any hard to kill creature in adventure mode losing would be hard to achieve if you play with killing every thing mind set.

so if you think out side that then achieving FUN with a colossi can be achieve. like say you want a temple for your ruling power of the area in a favorite non-razed town. you might want to retire the statue and build the thing a magma fountain that shoots hot magma up in to the air and pipes back down.
so you lose tons of dwarfs/humans/elfgoblins making the thing which is some bonus FUN right there.
OH no one berserk dwarf charged your adventurer well no big he gets thrown into a door and you are down one worker right?
well it happens that door controls the magma pump shut valve and it stuck open oops now the whole city is flooded and your bronze who was the one who wipe out the mountain hydra and the sea titan is a melted statue. not only you lost a fort you lost a adventure with a town. so that triple the FUN.
 I had FUN with having someone kill off a adventure while they live in the fort civ due to bad living quarters really changes how one plays fort mode.

fake edit :wait 08? you mean 40d right?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 02:29:40 pm »

Well, I programmed a crude utility a while ago for the 2008 version. It still works, to a degree, for DF2010, but almost precisely half of the last entries will be bad. Just remove the bad entries from entity_adventurise.txt and you'll be able to play as a butterfly, beetle, centaur, cave dragon, olm, or whatever. I believe this works for any modded creatures as well, as long as certain naming conventions for the raw files are followed. Also don't forget to remove any backup files that your text editor may leave behind.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=771

On a related note, I'm wondering whether this or something else I'm doing causes all wildlife to be extinct. For some reason, my games do not contain wild animals. My dwarves do not hunt and I never encounter wolves or bears. It may also be because I have 1000 titans and they eat all the wildlife. Whatever the case, it seems possible that this utility may have something to do with it.

Also, this utility works with Python 2, not 3. Perhaps I should update it at some point.

How do i open the file with python?

Leerok the Lacerta

• Bay Watcher
  • Linuxer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 05:22:26 pm »

Place the file in your Dwarf Fortress directory, subdirectories are fine.

Assuming that you installed Python 2.6 in C:\python26
> C:\python26\python.exe Adventurise.py

And it writes entity_adventurise.txt to your raw directory.

Remember to remove the bad entries, which contain junk.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 08:32:33 am »

I tend to use adventurers to carry some stuff from old fortresses to new ones. Gives a sense of continuity.

I also once made an adventurer, used him to butcher a pile of elves, humans and a cyclops, and dumped a backpack full of their corpes in a goblin tower. I then embarked in it with a modded race and made fancy leather clothes out of them.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 10:04:38 pm »

I did this once as sort of an experiment. I made a smallish fortress that mined adamantite and had an adventurer haul it off to an alternative site that was an otherwise perfect embark site.

The problem with this is that you need to embark on a landmark like a cave or an abandoned fortress, because its nigh impossible to find the exact spot to dump your goods if the place is just in the wilderness somewhere.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 12:26:19 pm »

The problem with this is that you need to embark on a landmark like a cave or an abandoned fortress, because its nigh impossible to find the exact spot to dump your goods if the place is just in the wilderness somewhere.
you need to perp the site for the adventurer then you can find it.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 12:51:38 pm »

Im not even sure whether dropped items even stay where you dropped them in non-site places (as in, not a fortress, cave, town, etc). I did have some trouble with this in 40d. There I usualy embarked on a good site, abandoned, dropped the goods and then reclaimed.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!