Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Goblins stupidly overpowered.  (Read 5892 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblins stupidly overpowered.
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2010, 10:56:28 am »

or I'm making a seperate lever house in which there will be a jobless dwarf, walled in with a food supply who will exist only to instantly pull the siege levers.

I've only been playing seriously about a month, so I hesitate to give any advice, but I put all my important levers in the meeting hall that I've allocated as the burrow for the citizenry to run to when an ambush happens. So first sign of an ambush I put the civilians on alert, they stream to the meeting hall, which is then packed with idlers who are free to pull any lever I need pulled.

Now REMEMBERING what all those levers do required making a schematic...

This is why I make a miniature model of my fort within a sealed bunker complex that has its own food and water supply arranged in such a way that it can never be attacked from the outside. Entombed within it are several dwarves who exist only to pull the levers instantly on command. They farm their own food and drink from a well, and there is absolutely no path from their bunker to the outside world. The walls are many layers thick made out of iron blocks.

Each lever in the mini-fort is in the same position as the object it triggers in my fort so I always know which lever goes to which. The bunker is generally just for very important things that can be absolutely time critical, such as sealing the main gates to put the fortress in lockdown mode or to trigger any entrance traps.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2010, 06:08:50 am »

After playing a bit more, I'll reassess my first post that I've lost almost no dwarves.

I'm actually losing quite a few per siege. Good dwarves too. I'm sometimes losing a legendary, but they're not as protected as they can be. I'm not certain how skilled they are at dodging either. Most have a mix of high quality steel and iron now.
Each major siege I lose maybe two mid-skill rookies, and sometimes one legendary dwarf. Varies a bit with the sieges. Crap sieges tending towards maybe one rookie death, if no deaths whatsoever, while the bloodiest siege resulted in the death of two civilians, several rookies, and two legendaries... not to mention several debilitating injuries.

If anything, this is basically another parallel of this version being like the 2d version again. It's no longer a guarantee that you will lose no military dwarves in a siege, and in fact, you're certain to lose at least one if circumstances are bad, and the damage can often be pretty brutal to the survivors.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2010, 08:56:23 am »

Well the bow goblins are pretty bad.  A lucky shot can cause a slow agonizing death in even the most legendary of dwarves.  However that is nothing my weapon traps (artifact and masterwork giant steel axes) and cage traps can't deal with.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2010, 09:09:51 am »

After playing a bit more, I'll reassess my first post that I've lost almost no dwarves.

I'm actually losing quite a few per siege. Good dwarves too. I'm sometimes losing a legendary, but they're not as protected as they can be. I'm not certain how skilled they are at dodging either. Most have a mix of high quality steel and iron now.
Each major siege I lose maybe two mid-skill rookies, and sometimes one legendary dwarf. Varies a bit with the sieges. Crap sieges tending towards maybe one rookie death, if no deaths whatsoever, while the bloodiest siege resulted in the death of two civilians, several rookies, and two legendaries... not to mention several debilitating injuries.

If anything, this is basically another parallel of this version being like the 2d version again. It's no longer a guarantee that you will lose no military dwarves in a siege, and in fact, you're certain to lose at least one if circumstances are bad, and the damage can often be pretty brutal to the survivors.

This really seems like a good balance. It makes even small sieges a degree of dangerous, and you don't get boring invincible hero type dwarves after a few years sparring either.   And it forces you to pay attention to your military in some respects. Also implies you need to beef up your defences as sieges get larger to offset your limited dwarf resources.

And it really gives a chance for artifact and named weapons to get handed down from one warrior to another...with kill tackng on weapons now, that could get epic.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]