Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Story about Thirst McUrist  (Read 1131 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Story about Thirst McUrist
« on: June 05, 2010, 05:43:20 pm »

Worried about food, I cook the booze.  So what, there's plenty of water, right?

I was playing this fortress when all of a sudden a couple dwarves die of thirst.  It is winter, and the water is frozen, so I check to make sure they have unfrozen water.  They do, and I ignore it.

After the Dwarven Caravan leaves, more dwarves die.  So I dig out some more underground water, just in case.

Then I remembered this map was on the ocean coast...

So I quickly devise two plans: First, Brew some booze.  Second, construct pumps!

I assigned a dwarf to brew some booze, and assign my carpenters to construct wooden blocks, wooden corkscrews, and wooden pipe sections.  I even build a second carpenter's workshop.

After several minutes, a dwarf finally gets ready to brew some booze, and I get the "No barrels" notification.  So I have to get my carpenters to make barrels instead of anything else.

At this time, the Miner punches out the sherrif (why is it always the miners that go agro?) as the fortress population is halved by the latest round of deaths.  But I perserver, and the pump is finally constructed.

As the remaining dwarves die, I keep asigning the pump operator task to anyone alive.  Eventually, there is only one, and Thrist McUrist starts working that pump with all his dwarven might.  But he is still thirsty.  I attempt to zone the pumped-out water as a watering hole...but apparently pumps no longer take the salt out of the water.  He dies, end game.

zergl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Story about Thirst McUrist
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 05:50:32 pm »

Did you make the reservoir the pump pumps into completely out of constructed walls/floors?

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 06:25:38 pm »

Were your dwarves partying? They will party until they die if you don't interrupt them.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Crowbar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 08:31:54 pm »

*slow clap*

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 08:40:30 pm »

Did you make the reservoir the pump pumps into completely out of constructed walls/floors?
Indeed. If pumped water touches a single natural wall or floor it re-salinates.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 04:27:16 am »

*slow clap*

This made me laugh.

Sorry to hear you lost your fort OP. If you cooked your booze, didn't it make it fall apart when a dwarf tried to eat it or is that fixed now?

Next time I'd say make sure your drink industry is one of the first established and fill up a very large cavern with them, wood supply being the factor deciding how large. This skills up your brewer, and once he is Legendary you can sell/cook/throw in magma most of your current supply and then fill up the room with Legendary drinks that will be a large factor in keeping your population from tantruming.

Your carpenter will skill up too if that matters to you. Your axedwarf should already be a Legendary woodcutter from deforesting everything he can reach patrolling with his ax.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 10:48:04 am »

Rather than wasting ANY booze (gasp!) aren't there ways to separate stockpiles by quality? But that might end up just being for the barrels.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 01:48:36 pm »

Tisk tisk. Embarked on an ocean and didn't conciously think about water until it was too late.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.