Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Spoilers] Advanced combat problems  (Read 1267 times)

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[Spoilers] Advanced combat problems
« on: May 28, 2010, 10:52:15 pm »

Underground content spoilers herein.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

CppThis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Spoilers] Advanced combat problems
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 11:08:09 pm »

Very common, very nasty bug.  The problem in a nutshell is that creatures made of inorganic materials e.g. aluminum are unkillable by normal means as they have no organs, or at least none that can be reached.  I myself have had several surface megabeasts with htis issue, all but one in fact.

Cave-in traps will kill anything under them, including megabeasts.  I recommend making use of this 'feature' at least until this mess gets sorted.

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 11:09:39 pm »

Or, take a horrible amount of time and to knock it unconscious and cage trap it, then dump it into magma. Unless inorganic FBs don't breathe. Dropping rocks on it is always and option though.
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 12:21:22 am »

The only real non-hack ways to kill him are:
1.obsidianize me captain: Cast an obsidian block on him. will most likely require a preset obsidian trap that you can activate on command.
2. I'm Melting what a world..... : Flood it with magma. Aluminum melts, the beast should eventually turn to slag from hot hot hot magma. just in case, use water to block off exits with obsidian.
3. One thing's for sure, we're all gonna be a lot thinner.: drope a natural wall on it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 12:25:43 pm »

I usually let the soldiers go at it for a long time.  Given enough time someone usually beheads the critter (unless it has no head). Only once did I apply magma, and that was because of a FPS drop I experienced when the megabeast was trapped, pacing, and constantly emitting steam. I have also taken to walling off sections of the cavern as I got sick of moonstone and sterling silver megabeasts strolling in.

Letting trees grow near the cavern edges can also make for decent barriers, but if you have a wide open space you probably will need to wall it off.  Otherwise you'll be ending task quite frequently.

Forgotten beasts, as far as I can tell, do not trigger cage traps--or any traps.  They walk right through them, so there is no slowing them down unless you can flood them away somehow.
igless

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 12:53:06 pm »

Drop the goddamn roof on him, see how immortal he is.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 02:38:16 pm »

I'm uncertain of this, myself, but I was reading a chunk of the DF wiki. Apparently anything can be killed if you sever its upper body from its lower body. The exception are oozes, who are immune to this severing and thus are supposed to be immune to death by normal combat.

If this is true, I'd suggest bringing in dwarves skilled with some good quality/material slashing weapons and hope they eventually get a severing critical in that spot.
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 10:17:36 pm »

I'm uncertain of this, myself, but I was reading a chunk of the DF wiki. Apparently anything can be killed if you sever its upper body from its lower body. The exception are oozes, who are immune to this severing and thus are supposed to be immune to death by normal combat.

If this is true, I'd suggest bringing in dwarves skilled with some good quality/material slashing weapons and hope they eventually get a severing critical in that spot.

Actually, there are many, many creature types used by the random generator that have only one body piece. Slugs, for example.
Axe men are the only really potent warriors anyway, so you should always have at least a few around.

If you want to beat this thing (really anything until toady gets the combat/military totally worked out) your best bet is to use cave in traps/cave ins to smash it/seal it off along with your military, even though it sucks that you have to lose them. They'll be gaining a lot of experience from long fights in whatever skill they happen to be using, which is most likely wrestling since they're such idiots right now. You can try having most of them pull out by removing them from the squad/placing them in an off-duty squad which should cause them to become civies and run away at some point. occasionally...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.