Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Consolidated Workaround Thread] New Military System (and others)  (Read 1069 times)

Obibun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey all. Long lime listener, first time caller.

Used to play DF on/off a couple years back but never really got into it as much. Got the latest version plus a graphics patch and have been loving it. Encountered tons of bugs with the military and upon searching through the forums found out they're pretty common.

With that said, I saw some useful workarounds for bypassing the bugs. I'm inviting anyone (other than myself, still being relatively new) to come in here and post the best methods of working around said issues.

Personally I love the new military system, I think it's absolutely genius (if it worked properly).

Here are some basics -

1 - Instead of using the attack function (which makes half of your dwarves wander back to the barracks aimlessly, and the other half drop their weapons) just use the move function to move them within the area of an enemy. Apparently a lot less bugged.

2 - If you're having trouble getting your squads to equip properly, disbanding/recreating usually makes them reset and pick up items properly (including quivers)

3 - Instead of giving them a training schedule, give the dwarves no orders and set them to active. They'll train themselves in their barracks.

Feel free to continue. It would be much appreciated I'm sure by not only myself but everyone else enjoying the new version.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Obibun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Consolidated Workaround Thread] New Military System (and others)
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 01:25:06 pm »

(shamelessly stolen from page 4)

Hello folks!

I'm certain that most of you have gotten a chance to play with the most recent release of DF2010. As many of you are aware, in this version there is a bug with military dwarves that can cause them to pick up multiple weapons in the same hand. I recently spent the better part of two hours trying to fix this in my fort, and I figured it would be a good idea to share how to work around this bug until we get the first major bugfix release.

The Cause of the Bug:

As far as I can tell, the cause of the bug is that when you (the player) tell a military dwarf to remove an item from their squad listing, they do not immediately drop it. For armor this is not a major issue, as that slot on a creatures body holds a set amount of items. Thus when new armor is assigned the old armor is removed when the new armor is put on.

Held items however, have a nasty little bug where there is no limit to the number of items you can hold in your grasp (this is a holdover from the very begging of the 3d days. You can recreate a similar bug in adventure mode and hold an almost infinite number of shields.

Additionally, military positions remember every last weapon that the dwarf in question held, even if the position changes dwarves. This has the effect of causing any replacements for that SLOT in the squad to pick up the same equipment bar clothing. Thus, if one dwarf in a squad had four axes, his successor will as well.

The Fix:

First, delete the squad with the bugged dwarf in question.

Second, create a new squad without any uniform. Set the uniform preferences to replace armor (This will cause your dwarves to strip down to nothing. Removing the offending weapons).

Third, assign a new uniform. Try to avoid changing your dwarves' uniform too much while doing this, and try to make it fairly specific. I find assigning a weapon/armor type with a material type gives the best results. Remember that you need to assign two Gauntlets and Boots if you want full coverage.

Fourth, station the squad with a (M)ove order. Move orders have less priority than equipment, resupply, or kill orders. Thus when your arsenal dwarf (you DO have one right?) finishes his manifest, your squad should equip properly.

Thats all, your military should be properly kitted out now. Good luck and happy hunting!

~Jamini

With

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 01:55:04 pm »

- If your military dwarves keep running around the equipment stockpile putting on and removing equipment, remove all of the bins in the pile(set "Max Bins" to zero). Not sure exactly what's going wrong, but it seems that they don't put their old armor in the bins properly or something, and then when someone puts the armor back in a container they double back to put that armor on, leaving the armor they're currently wearing lying around, which is then placed in a bin... I'm sure you can see where this is going. Not using bins for armor storage seems to avert this for some reason.

This is probably already known, but I might as well put this here.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Obibun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 02:02:32 pm »

- If your military dwarves keep running around the equipment stockpile putting on and removing equipment, remove all of the bins in the pile(set "Max Bins" to zero). Not sure exactly what's going wrong, but it seems that they don't put their old armor in the bins properly or something, and then when someone puts the armor back in a container they double back to put that armor on, leaving the armor they're currently wearing lying around, which is then placed in a bin... I'm sure you can see where this is going. Not using bins for armor storage seems to avert this for some reason.

I don't use bins for armor storage and I get the same problem. :\

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 02:04:22 pm »

I don't use bins for armor storage and I get the same problem. :\
...Uh...
Nothing to see here. Move along.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

SpacemanSpiff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 12:58:00 am »

I'm pretty sure that one of the causes of "party at the armor bins!" is that every dwarf always wants to wear the best quality armor he can get.  I saw this very graphically earlier today when an armorsmith went legendary, and started churning out masterpieces.  I already had one squad equipped, and was making new armor to give to a future second squad.  I'd get the "masterpiece!" announcement, a hauler would bring an awesome helmet up to the armor bins in the barracks where my first squad was peaceably doing individual combat drills, and... they'd all go nuts.  I should watch it again in slow-mo and do lots of inventory checks, but it looked like a pecking-order of dwarves, with the first guy there getting the masterpiece helmet, and discarding his slightly-worse helmet.  Some other dwarf then grabs that helmet, and in turn discards his even-crappier helmet.  Continue down the line.   End result, the second squad will get a bunch of cast-offs :)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 05:58:05 am »

I've noticed that one of the arsenal dwarf's responsibilities is [UPGRADE_EQUIPMENT] or something like that. If we remove that, does that prevent equipment dancing?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 06:24:25 am »

I get equipment dancing without an arsenal dwarf, and without bins. However, that stopped after I put an armour rack in my barracks and set the barracks to "Indiv. Equip".

Garan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 08:28:44 am »

I drafted my expedition leader/brewer. Then noticed that after individual training, he wouldn't do any work.  The dwarven traders came and my leader defiantly decided to say he'd hold the meeting, but continued to actually individually train.

I tried many combinations trying to snap him out of it (remove from squad, disband the squad, free the barracks, deconstruct the barracks).. until I hit a winner.

1. Order the squad to station.
2. Free all barracks.
3. Cancel the station order - at this point, he looks for a place to individually train, doesn't find one, and so stops training!
4. Remove from squad to prevent future incidents.

Now my leader is back to brewing and doing one-off jobs that no one else wants to.

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 02:28:04 am »

Arsenal Dwarf prevents that as far as I've experienced. He has to order the upgrades, so while the armor parties occur, they are less of a sponaneous forget defence and more of a slow around a day exercise.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)