Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Doom Fortress Mega Project  (Read 1146 times)

Nova72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Doom Fortress Mega Project
« on: May 29, 2010, 03:27:12 pm »

I intend to start a "Doom Fortress" lined with traps, winding corridors with dug out archer and siege weapon positions, and of course magma and water flooding.  I also intend to build my fortress deep within the earth, shut off from the world other then said doom passage to admit trade, migrants, and enemies. 

The only problems I have run into with this idea so far is dwarven dependence on wood.  Is there a way to replace wood beds, barrels, and bins with something made of stone or metal? 

I am also looking for any suggestions how to best implement the whole shut off from the world thing.  What else could I do to complete the mega fortress/any suggestions on what else to do in this fortress?

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doom Fortress Mega Project
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 03:30:34 pm »

A set of pipes that allow you to flood any room in the fortress with magma. Section off hallways so you can flood them too. Drainage would also be nice.
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 03:32:15 pm »

Hi!

Wooden beds can not be replaced without modding as far as I know. Barrels and bins can already be made of metal.

Would harvesting wood from the cavern layer be an option?

Otherwise, just clear-cut the map as long as you are still open to the surface and store the wood in your fortress so you have enough stored for later on.

Ah! Also note that you can trade for wood with the dwarves.

Deathworks

Nova72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 03:39:45 pm »

How does woodcutting underground work? (I am still a noob here)  Are there trees in the caverns that can be cut?  Also, would it be a simple matter to mod it so that I could make beds at a mason shop out of stone or no?

ChopperDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 03:45:19 pm »

Make your ramp able to be flooded, then turn it into a water slide into a pit that you can fill with magma. You get obsidian and a bunch of goblins frozen in carbonite.
Give an elf a fire and he will be warm for a day. Toss him 20z levels into the magma sea and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 03:47:57 pm »

Once you tap caverns, tower cap can start growing underground. Presumably, the tower cap can only grow in underground soil or mud, but I don't know.
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

Yiab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 04:38:35 pm »

Build structures in such a way that you can block off key passageways with obsidian if you absolutely need to, sealing yourself entirely behind natural/constructed walls/floors. That way you have a last resort for any invading force no matter how powerful, so long as you trigger it before they have already completely penetrated your fortress.

Oh, and make sure the triggering lever is nowhere near the actual passageway, or you might have trouble pulling it in a real crisis.

As for wood, I've been seeing trees grow very densely underground. They tend to grow best when there is a full layer beneath them and the ground has been irrigated. If you're worried about the amount of wood you have, only use it for beds, axles, and ash, I'm pretty sure everything else can be done with stone, metal or green glass. Oh, and request wood from liaisons.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 05:57:17 pm »

When procuring wood, if you use up or forbid all of the wood that you have, the traders will automatically bring more than usual.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 06:53:11 pm »

How does woodcutting underground work? (I am still a noob here)  Are there trees in the caverns that can be cut?  Also, would it be a simple matter to mod it so that I could make beds at a mason shop out of stone or no?

All three of the cavern levels have tree and plant life native to them (well, no special plants unless you do some modding, just trees).  If you breach a cavern, you can harvest to your heart's delight, provided you can fend off the natives of Subterra.  Even better, all of these trees are unique colors, so you can get green, red, yellow, white, dark blue, and purple beds (though you can also get purple wood above ground in evil territory from Glumprongs).

Also, if you turn on "See tunnels" in your init and world creation information, you might be able to find an underground tunnel on the overworld to turn into your fortress's "Doom Path".  I haven't messed with these, but the few I took a look at seemed to be underground roads that linked dwarf cities through mountain tiles, and often go through the first level of caverns.
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?