Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Having a couple issues... help? (Possibly spoilers!)  (Read 1171 times)

Aethios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Having a couple issues... help? (Possibly spoilers!)
« on: May 29, 2010, 12:02:13 pm »

I searched both the wiki and the forums for answers to these questions and was unable to find anything, so I apologize if they are repostings.

First, I started my fort with a carpenter/woodcutter and brought along a battle axe. After the fort was set up and I had quite a few dwarves, I removed the woodcutting job from him and gave it to someone else, so they could work more efficiently. I was able to get the carpenter to drop the axe, but no matter what I do, the new woodcutter WILL NOT pick it up. The axe is in a weapons stockpile, unforbidden and perfectly good. I even tried putting the woodcutter in a military squad and assigning copper battle axes to him, with no effect. Any ideas?

Second, my military dwarves are training, but they are doing so alone, despite the fact that there are at least 6 other dwarves in the same room doing the same thing at the same time. Is this normal? Will it reduce the skill they gain from training?

Third, I dug my way down to the magma sea and found the SMR, but I can't get through it. What am I supposed to do here?

TatersAndTots

• Bay Watcher
  • Doo dee doo
    • View Profile
Re: Having a couple issues... help? (Possibly spoilers!)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 01:56:53 pm »

What does SMR stand for? As for training, your dwarves need a third guy to supervise if they were to spar. Since they can kill each other, just give the soldiers free time, and if they aren't lazy fucks they'll train on their free time. I have no clue how to get a trainer, but I think once they get above a certain level of training, they can.
Aren't Rhesus Macaques actually whales?
They're actually a special ore. Instead of being mined, they're hunted from between the trees and instead of producing metal, they produce food: rhesus pieces.

Aethios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 02:21:08 pm »

SMR = Semi-Molten Rock, which (according to the wiki) surrounds the Great Magma Sea at the bottom of the map and is impenetrable. There has to be some way to circumvent or destroy it though.

BTW, your avatar is awesome.

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 02:21:24 pm »

What does SMR stand for?

SemiMoltenRock

To answer your question, you need to find an adamantine tube, which you can dig through. Beware though, as with every square you dig out you run the risk of opening the fun stuff beneath.

Aethios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 02:43:13 pm »

Ok that answers the third question. Anyone have solutions for the woodcutting issue?

Mr. Accident

• Bay Watcher
  • No playing in the crater.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 03:12:46 pm »

Did you use Dwarf Therapist to assign the woodcutting job? Apparently it has issues with jobs that require equipment; the dwarf will have the job active, but they'll never go pick up the tool they need. If that's the case, just remove the labor, wait a few frames, and then reassign it using the in-game interface.

Aethios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 03:48:25 pm »

That does seem likely. Never thought about it. At any rate, the game crashed and I lost my whole fortress, but I'll keep that in mind for the next round. Thanks guys!

Aethios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 06:20:05 pm »

Had the issue again, it's either not caused by Dwarf Therapist or once it occurs, it's unfixable. Either way, my fort is totally broken and borderline unplayable. This is frustrating.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 06:24:30 pm »

Hi!

Have you tried buying/making a new axe? Maybe something has bugged out on that one axe and you may be able to use other axes normally.

Deathworks

Aethios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 09:47:26 pm »

I bought a couple of steel axes from a caravan. I needed them for my military anyways. The woodcutter won't equip any of them. I also tried re-equipping it back to the carpenter and switching his job, but he won't pick any of them up either. I didn't check the military.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 11:26:43 pm »

I have done all of these before wondering why the heck my cutter isnt chopping down wood... so its possible you have too :p

1) be sure you didnt accidentally turn orders off to touch wood in the Orders menu.

2) be sure to restart your game with Dwarf Therapist off when assigning the dwarf the job, sometimes it takes like 15 minutes for them to unbug to be able to go off cutting again.

3) Be sure he actually has wood cutting job.

4) Be sure you didnt accidently forbid the axe.

5) Be sure that another dwarf isnt using the axe.

6) Be sure that your dwarfs are not stuck in the burrow still :p

7) be sure your tree's are not forbid to be touched.

8) Be sure your wood cutter isnt in the military.

9) Be sure you can actually reach the area where you want to cut wood.

10) Be sure that you didnt accidentally sealed your dwarf in a room, or have the doors forbid to be opened..

Ya, I have face palmed very often :P
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Aethios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 01:18:49 pm »

It's not an issue with movement since I don't have very many doors and there are no alerts active. Several dwarves go outside on a regular basis with no problems.

It's not an issue with the trees since the dwarf in question won't even pick up the axe. It's definitely a problem with the dwarf and/or the axe itself.

I tried restarting without Dwarf Therapist and I've switched the labor probably about 6 times now, sometimes waiting as much as 10 mins in between switches, but no change.

Any other suggestions?

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 02:17:39 pm »

Dig to the HFS.

He'll pick up the axe if he values his life.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 02:26:50 pm »

Dig to the HFS.

He'll pick up the axe if he values his life.

If he values his life, he'll wall himself in - with ten years' worth of food, twenty years' worth of booze, your entire wood stockpile, and claim a carpenter's workshop.

Urist McSoldier has created Spaceships, a chestnut wagon!

Edit: Then he'll crash it into a wall because he's a dabbling wagon user.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 02:28:35 pm by LordSlowpoke »