Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: display shenanigans  (Read 1177 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
display shenanigans
« on: June 01, 2010, 11:44:20 am »

so, recently i discover my machine is dual core. yay says i, this means i can mess around to try and make df run faster. i currently play 40d19_2... and have been using VBO as my print mode. this gives me 60 to 80 fps with 105 dwarfs - respectable. partial print may be faster but it has given me unusual quater display and flicker issues. SHADER just gives me an instant crash. following the notes and magmawiki i decide to try 2DASYNC as suggested for multi core machines but this had odd results - all the colours were red shifted, with most things appearing an odd pink colour, with no measurable fps gain. having ruled out a doppler effect as the source of the colour change (pretty confident my laptop is not receeding at a relativistic velocity), i now wonder if anyone else has had this experience... or a solution more straightforward than changing all the colours via the init file. of corse, for no fps gain it might be a moot point. [machine is a dual core laptop, so i have not set an affinity for df to run off either cpu as this would be counter productve].
This is a blank sig.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
Re: display shenanigans
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 01:57:35 pm »

Why would that be counter productive? You could run DF on one cpu and everything else on the other. DF isnt multithreaded.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 02:09:14 pm »

dual core laptop switches cpu load between processors (one at a time) to prevent temp increase of processor and throttling back of cpu processing speed... e.g use one until hot then switch to other until hot, and repeat. restricting to one cpu would prevent that switching, overheating the one in use and slowing its operation.

see http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:Maximizing_framerate#Hardware-_and_OS-specific_Advice
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 02:13:00 pm by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 05:22:57 pm »

DF 31.04 and above are multithreaded, in that the graphics thread runs on core #2, so you should try that. :)
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 11:01:44 pm »

cool.
This is a blank sig.

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 11:23:04 pm »

dual core laptop switches cpu load between processors (one at a time) to prevent temp increase of processor
Wrong. Both processors are on the same chip, so the temperature difference is negligible. The main reason for Windows doing this would be to balance the load between processors for faster performance. Even so, it's still a bad idea to restrict 0.31.04+ (and 40d#) to one core since that forces the graphics thread and the gameplay thread to share the same core. It might be a good idea in other versions, but I haven't tested it.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 04:53:01 am »

40d# doesn't use a separate graphics thread, that's new in 31.04.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?