Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Darn Possession Moods  (Read 4025 times)

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Darn Possession Moods
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 04:11:20 pm »

I've only had 2/9 moods so far be possessions; they almost overwhelmingly seem to be secretive moods instead.

I sometimes wonder if there are similar mood triggers for moods besides macabre/fell; my dwarves are often very happy before their moods, which maybe affects the preponderance of secretive and fey moods, whereas perhaps content dwarves are primarily possessed.  I also wonder whether their religious beliefs affect their mood; perhaps more faithful dwarves have a higher chance of being "possessed" by their god to produce an artifact.

This will require investigation...my fort is turning five years old soon, and now we've got the resources to produce some really legendary stuff, I hope.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2010, 06:47:54 pm »

I think the parameters go like this:

Fey- Happy, healthy dwarf.
Secretive- Happy, Lonely/Isolationist dwarf.
Possession- Neutral Happiness.
Fell- sad, easily angered dwarf.
Macabre- Sad, healthy dwarf.

Did I get it right? I've never had a fell or macabre mood, My dwarves are too happy. Hell, I've never had a tantrum spiral!
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2010, 08:59:04 pm »

Hell, I've never had a tantrum spiral!
HEATHEN, YOU HAVE SINNED BEFORE THE GREAT AND ALMIGHTY GOD OF FUNTM. REPENT, OR YOU SHALL BE DOOMED TO AN ETERNITY OF FROLICKING WITH ELVES
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Exiledhero99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2010, 09:31:34 pm »

Hell, I've never had a tantrum spiral!
HEATHEN, YOU HAVE SINNED BEFORE THE GREAT AND ALMIGHTY GOD OF FUNTM. REPENT, OR YOU SHALL BE DOOMED TO AN ETERNITY OF FROLICKING WITH ELVES
And how shall I repent o' God of KIDDYLAND!? (see what I did there?)

ON subject, I don't think possessions work like a coin toss, more like a 5-8 sided die weighted based on that particular dwarve's disposition
If you hit a dwarf with moving water with sufficient strength it will knock the baby out of the mother's arms.  The water can then be used to sweep the baby into a well or cistern for drowning.  The device which does this can also double as a mist generator.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2010, 09:52:20 pm »

ON subject, I don't think possessions work like a coin toss, more like a 5-8 sided die weighted based on that particular dwarve's disposition

I think I'll explore whether or not religious faith affects possessed moods...after all, something has to possess them and it would make sense if it's their deity.  Particularly if there's an association between their spheres and the artifact created.  E.g. a dwarf who believes in a god associated with war might be more inclined to produce weapons as opposed to other potential items at their selected workshop.

EDIT: Within the context of their skills, of course. 
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 09:56:11 pm by Vercingetorix »
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2010, 02:33:15 am »

Hi!

While I don't have any evidence, I also believe that it is very likely that the dwarf's state has an effect on what type of mood they get, even beyond the fell/macabre range. In addition, I wouldn't be surprised if the biome or some such had an impact on it - wait, do you have that sword on your map? Maybe your dwarves are hearing voices from deep below...

Deathworks

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2010, 05:11:59 pm »

And how shall I repent o' God of KIDDYLAND!? (see what I did there?)
As a matter of fact, I did. Epic lolgasms ensued.

I think Karne may actually be onto something; Considering that dwarves tend to be in slightly worse moods than in 40d due to a number of factors (mass death from goblin sieges and constantly starving themselves so they can Make Plant Fiber Sock /R spring to mind), they would probably hover around "content" so long as nothing else pisses them off, which if Karne is correct would indeed lead to a higher proportion of possessions (Yes, I am aware that correlation does not imply causation).

I don't remember clearly, but I seem to recall that I got a lot of possessions in my old fort until I installed 4 ruby-encrusted funstone statues in my dining hall, which pretty much shot everyone's mood up to "ecstatic" immediately. It could've been the other way around, though; my memory's bad.

If anybody has the time, I think we could test it like this:
Sieges OFF (to minimize unwanted bad thoughts)
Pop Cap 40 (to conserve FPS)

The tester will run 2 forts. Fort A (our "content" fort) has a mediocre unengraved 6x6 dining room and Fort B (our "ecstatic" fort) has a huge 30x30 dining hall with engraved walls and gold/funstone everything. Neither fort will have beds (which should provide a steady influx of negative thoughts) and both will be at the exact same location (i.e. save after embarking, then copy the file and play each seperately) to negate additional variables. Each fort will be played until the 30th mood, and how many of each mood type will be recorded. If the dwarves in Fort A get too happy, drop one of them into a death pit (the small dining room should mean they'll all be friends very soon). If they get too sad, temporarily place something nice in the dining hall for them to ogle.

I'd do this myself, but my comp really doesn't like the current version and I don't think I'd be able to finish in any resonable amount of time.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 05:20:32 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2010, 09:56:43 pm »

People keep commenting how happiness seems to affect moods, though my experience seems to refute the theory.  While this one might be an observational selection fallacy, I kindof thought that my dwarves were all fairly happy.  In my fortresses, typically if the dwarves become unhappy, the fortress doesn't last long enough to construct an artifact.  Of course, don't let this stop anyone else from performing any kind of tests, be they observational experiments or memory hacking.

On a side note, I can't watch this thread as closely as I might like due to computer problems (one of the hinges on this laptop is...no longer attached...at all....)  I'll do my best to watch and appropriately respond.

CppThis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2010, 11:49:06 pm »

I think maybe there's something to the theory that it's heavily influenced by dwarf disposition.  In my previous fort (first serious DF attempt), in which the dorfs were markedly less happy/healthy I got almost exclusively posessions plus one fell during a particularly low point.  New fort is going along better overall and I'm now getting lots of secretive and a few fey and posessed.

Rover963

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2010, 02:30:24 pm »

Well speak of possessions: one of my dwarves that broke his legs and need surgery to even move got possessed. He crawled his way to a craft shop and later died of starvation because I had no shells and he went berserk but he couldn't catch up to anyone.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2010, 12:26:20 pm »

Yet another new fort.  I create a lot of these because I consider the very beginning of a fortress to be the most fun.  Just becomes monotonous once you're established.  Also lets me test a wider variety of circumstances.

I'm not sure if the RNGod is being merciful or just taunting me, but...I actually got a secretive mood...naturally, it was completely and totally impossible for me to satisfy that mood on this particular map.  Gah dang it!  At least it broke the statistical near-impossibility and gave me something besides a possession.
Pages: 1 [2]