Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does anyone have a map with a volcano in a forest?  (Read 2731 times)

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Does anyone have a map with a volcano in a forest?
« on: May 29, 2010, 03:57:40 pm »

I've been generating lots of worlds, 50 years of history, high volcanism, high minimum volcanoes, but the volcanoes always end up in mountains or evil areas, or places entirely devoid of trees.

Is it possible to get a map with a volcano in a forest? I don't care if there's an aquifer, hell there could be a three or four level aquifer, all I want is a forest with a volcano.

Sorry if this is a bit much to ask, but I've been trying for quite a while, and my computer is running really hot, so I figured I'd ask here.
I've played a guitar with my penis.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone have a map with a volcano in a forest?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 04:05:20 pm »

Hi!

I am not sure whether I understand your problem. At least on the overview map, getting volcanoes in forests is not that much of a problem. You might want to try the following:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

However, given that I can't cancel embark midway, I can't really comment whether there is actually an embark that will fit your needs.

EDIT: IMPORTANT! I uploaded the world map to the map archive:

http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/map-8870-ecamoethaworld

Deathworks
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 04:11:56 pm by Deathworks »

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 04:27:31 pm »

Thanks, I'll check that out.

EDIT: YAY! It works, but there are 182 rejects...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 04:31:16 pm by C4lv1n »
I've played a guitar with my penis.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 04:29:55 pm »

Damn, Deathworks. That's a terrific world. I might try my next project there. If only it was genned with different cavern parameters... but I may be able to tinker with them and get something just as good.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 04:31:55 pm »

I embarked on a volcano in a forest once.

The forest was on fire.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 04:37:15 pm »

Hi!

Damn, Deathworks. That's a terrific world. I might try my next project there. If only it was genned with different cavern parameters... but I may be able to tinker with them and get something just as good.

I am actually wondering whether the cavern options have any influence on the landscape. I hope you tell us what you find out about that.

C4lv1n: So, this is what you were looking for?

And why were you surprised by the 182 rejects? World genning can often require a few hundred rejects in my experience (I always require a lot of forests because I want the elves to survive). Come to think of it, the fact that I support elves so strongly may have helped with this luck hit (and it was just luck as it is the world I genned before the one I am using right now).

Deathworks

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 04:44:42 pm »

If you want lots of forests, isn't the correct recipe "mid-high rainfall, mid-high drainage"? So up the minimum rainfall and drainage and you should have forests damn well everywhere that isn't a mountain or ocean.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 05:02:58 pm »

Well, I don't think the caverns themselves affect the landscape (I think caverns are created after the landscape has been), but any tiny change in parameters can create a completely different world, even with the exact same seeds. We'll see what happens shortly.

Fake-edit: Well geez, how about that. Changed nothing but cavern parameters and got the exact same world, history and all. That's a very useful tidbit - you can get the perfect site with terrible caverns, very mildly edit the cavern parameters, and use trial and error until your perfect aboveground has a perfect belowground.

SpacemanSpiff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 05:20:44 pm »

That's a fun map - it even has a 2x2 embark site with a volcano and a brook in a temperate marsh.  I did a "play now!" scout of the site, since in my experience it's rare to fit a volcano and brook into a 3x3 site, let alone 2x2. 

Turns out the volcano was actually a magma sink hole (and looking at the rest of the local map, you can see the old caldera a little distance away). Then I got three simultaneous events at startup, before my dwarves had even taken a single step away from the cart:
  • A section of the cavern has collapsed! (two muddy ponds collapsed into the sink hole, causing steam and insta-obsidian)
  • You've found a magma sea! (many z-levels down, where the magma pipe opened up)
  • Praise the miners! You've found adamantine! (I assume ditto, although I didn't look too hard for it)

I wonder if this means the first migrant would be the king :)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 06:18:21 pm »

Hi!

Retro: Thank you for the quick research. That will be very handy indeed as the cavern settings are something people may wish to fool around to set the difficulty. By the way, as far as I know, the magma layer does actually influence the landscape as turning it off will automatically also remove all volcanoes from the map (^_^;;

Psieye: Well, I don't like to change the min/max values because I want a diverse world in case I want to explore it with an adventurer. Besides, I want a complete world with all races and by changing the min/max values, I am risking pushing someone else off the board. So, I rather rely on the desired numbers to show up via regular means.

But thank you for that suggestion.

SpacemanSpiff:
O.o
I actually did not think that much about that world. Sure, I have played a fortress there, but it looked like any other world to me..... But I have to admit that that 2x2 embark site you found does sound amusing (I wonder how large the first immigrant wave would be :) :) :) :) :) ).

General: Anyhow, I am really happy that people have found this to be entertaining and/or useful.

Deathworks

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 07:41:37 pm »

Psieye: Well, I don't like to change the min/max values because I want a diverse world in case I want to explore it with an adventurer. Besides, I want a complete world with all races and by changing the min/max values, I am risking pushing someone else off the board. So, I rather rely on the desired numbers to show up via regular means.

But thank you for that suggestion.
Ah if you want a diverse world but still want more forests than normal, then I guess you could look at the mesh weightings which are usually put on Ignore by default. I'm assuming you make medium or large worlds so lots of civs spawn so you'd still get diversity but with a bias towards forests.

Then again, when I want all the (unmodded default) races to show up I just end worldgen very early (year 2) to guarantee nobody has had any time to go extinct yet. I prefer to be the one writing history instead of having my artists make lots of references to stuff (e.g. "relates to a human who got struck down by a bear in this region 200 years ago") I can only see via legends.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Voligne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 09:39:16 pm »

Truly Armok has intervened and caused the collapse, Praise the Miners for Armok has opened the way to the sacred ore.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 02:55:16 am »

Hi!

Psieye: Yes, I go with at least medium most of the time, although in past versions, I also tried out slightly smaller (sometimes just reducing one dimension).

I avoid needing the mesh size by actually reducing the variances of the biome-influencing aspects (basically everything except for volcanism and maybe savagery), although I admit that I need to finetune height variance often. This way, I can have small forests and hills while in general favoring larger forests which are basically what you need to preserve the elves.

I find it rather interesting that our approaches are actually completely opposed. While I genned my most recent worlds with history revealed because I wanted to check out what is actually in legend mode in the new version, I often keep history hidden. Then, I embark in an elven forest, preferably one that shares a border with one of the other races (more often than not humans) and start engraving so I can see what has happened in the area. I like the discovering certain trends or certain individuals through the engravings (like forest titans who seem to collect quite a body count during world gen). So, rather than writing history myself, I want to discover the diverse and unknown history the game offers to surprise me.

This just re-assures me of the greatness of this game - it is so many different things for various people. (Gets dreamy eyes and sighs.)

Deathworks

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 05:53:43 pm »

I found an awesome volcano in a forest....here's the map archive http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-8872-chewlabors  but I've forgotten how to dig up the worldgen info, so if you want it you'll have to remind me.