Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No Goblin Sieges  (Read 696 times)

Old-one-eye

• Bay Watcher
  • Good Day to you! Fhtagn!
    • View Profile
No Goblin Sieges
« on: May 29, 2010, 08:54:34 am »

I'm a relatively new player (well I have played the game on and off since 2006 but I'm intermediate in terms of experience) so when I got into the game upon the new release I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be crushed too quickly, and so I chose a non-evil area.

But. No sieges, not one. And with a 100 pop. So, I'm asking for ways to cause FUN. Thanks.
Quote from: breadbocks
ENRAGED
Quote from: Snook
Breadbocks has gone berserk!

NoctisVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • Has withdrawn from society.
    • View Profile
Re: No Goblin Sieges
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 10:01:36 am »

Simply unleash those nasty stuff down below(If you are playing the new version)...that should be enough.

Maybe goblins simply can't reach you? This is known to happen if you embark on isolated islands or some closed mountain basins, both in 0.31.xx and older versions.

Or, in a rarer case in smaller maps, there may simply no goblin civs left.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 10:19:13 am »

Did you get any goblin thief/ambush?
If not, then it's likely the civ is dead/can't reach you... the only way to know for sure if it's dead is to read the legends...

As a side note, how rich are you? Ambushes and sieges are also triggered by wealth if I'm not mistaken, so if you're piss-poor that might be the answer too...

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 10:20:35 am »

Fun Goals:

Remove women from fortress life entirely. Have them live pampered lives in blissful golden halls with fountains of wine. Attempt to grow your fortress by natural reproduction.

Go through your dwarves relationships for the most bad-ass dwarf god, or just pick the baron's deity. Build a temple filled with items that would please that deity. Execute the unbelievers.

Put all legendaries into retirement.

Stud everything.

Rig dozens of small cave-ins to occur at the pull of a switch, thereby simulating an earthquake.

Start a war with the humans. Use the kill order to slaughter their liason, then the merchants. Cease all above-ground farming and stockpile for a great protracted siege. Make your only source of food cave fish and whatever the elves manage to run past the blockade.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

CppThis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 10:23:58 am »

How old is your fort?  I find its entirely possible to have 100+ pop within a year or two, before any nasties show up, due to immigrant spam.

Old-one-eye

• Bay Watcher
  • Good Day to you! Fhtagn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 10:33:59 am »

I think you may be right about there either being no Goblins left or they can't reach me since, let's face it, if they were going to siege they would have already.

@cppthis: about 3-5 years I guess :/

@Nikov: I did manage to lose my two legendary miners through carelessness after they became trapped in a room they'd excavated for my irrigation system  ::)
Quote from: breadbocks
ENRAGED
Quote from: Snook
Breadbocks has gone berserk!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 01:24:53 pm »

Time to get the alternate sieges then - breach the underground, let the forgotten beasts in.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 10:19:10 pm »

My vote is to just arrange a few unfortunate incidents with the humans.  They'll promptly reply in force.

I had a fortress where their demon law-giver got wasted by a goblin ambush (although it killed the dragons, titans, hydras etc that arrived before my soldiers could get anywhere near them).  And despite the goblins killing him, it was an affront to the humans and they started to regularly siege.

For the most part they were better equipped than the goblins, although some goblins certainly carry good gear.

Opening the HFS is a good way to quickly lose the fort, rather than having manageable fun...
igless

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 11:13:43 pm »

This occurred to me in my first fort, which i discovered the reason is that all the Goblins were simply wiped out.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.