Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange mood demands - helping the player learn  (Read 979 times)

hactar1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strange mood demands - helping the player learn
« on: April 30, 2007, 09:55:00 am »

Last night I had to put one of my key craftsdwarves down... He went berserk after being unable to find some item, chased some poor peasant into the main hallway, and was shot by my patrolling military.

This has happened before, of course, but it really hurt this time since I'd tried so hard to satisfy his demands.  He had already claimed something like 3 bolts of silk cloth, steel bars, silver bars, green glass, turtle shell, rock crystals, marble blocks... and maybe something else.  I checked his profile for favorite items... ruby, rock crystal, and moonstone, and produced matching items that I thought he might want, but I could not.

I know that trying to satisfy cryptic demands is part of the fun, but I think the game should let you know after the fact what the dwarf was demanding.  That way, players can learn from their mistakes rather than being completely flummoxed as to the missing item.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
Re: Strange mood demands - helping the player learn
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 10:04:00 am »

I bet he wanted wagon bones.  What class of material was he wanting?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 10:22:00 am »

I totally agree.  I had a dwarf demanding cut gems and his profile listed him as liking green diamonds.
I pretty much shot him dead right then and there--I have yet, in three games since green diamonds were introduced, to FIND ONE.

hactar1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 11:42:00 am »

He wanted cloth, metal bars, blocks, cut and rough gems, and shell, I think.  I wasn't certain about the quantities, but I tried to gauge the rhythm of the messages to add them up.  I thought he must have claimed everything he was asking for already, but obviously there was something missing.  Oh well...   :(

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 02:16:00 pm »

Until there's a message telling you that he has started working on the object, keep looking for the items he asks for.

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 05:55:00 pm »

When they get stuck on something I don't have, unless I am already actively looking for something similar, they get the doors to the shop LOCKED. Only unlocked if they go nuts other than berserk. Otherwise the door stays locked until they are dead.

I just don't care enough! It wasn't me who wanted the artifact, it was the stupid dorf!

Akael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 03:28:00 am »

I fit all of my workshops with "noble waterers" for events like this. If I'm unable to find an item he's looking for, have the levermaster pull the switch and drown the poor dwarf.

It's just much easier and safer to see him drown than risk him killing others, and it makes me sad to see a budding craftsdwarf shot like an animal in a hallway deep in my fortress.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 04:01:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Akael:
<STRONG>I fit all of my workshops with "noble waterers" for events like this. If I'm unable to find an item he's looking for, have the levermaster pull the switch and drown the poor dwarf.

It's just much easier and safer to see him drown than risk him killing others, and it makes me sad to see a budding craftsdwarf shot like an animal in a hallway deep in my fortress.</STRONG>

lol I wish I'd thought of that, normally I just lock them in and send am axedwarf if they go crazy, but drowning the sounds MUCH more fun  :D lol

Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 05:34:00 am »

Maybe the dwarves didn't allways have to go mad in one way or another. It could, but perhaps it should depend on their general happiness. For example, if a very happy dwarf fails to find all his ingredients there would be a chance he could get depressed but nod raving mad. Now, if the dwarf was already unhappy the chance of him killing himself is much higher.
"It's unpossible!"