Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: That happened way too soon (40d)  (Read 881 times)

Slythe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
That happened way too soon (40d)
« on: May 27, 2010, 11:02:49 pm »

So I've played through about one year in a few different forts, learning the game.  Only once have I played to the start of the 3rd year, with one ambush at the end of that run.

But with my most recent fort, at the very beginning of only the second year, as my legendary miner was wandering outside to harvest plants, I get a damn goblin ambush.  I wasn't expecting one so soon.  He was surrounded and ripped apart.  I immediately sent out my two moderately trained axedwarves and two moderately trained marksdwarves and closed the drawbridge to the rest of my fort.  Just as I was doing this I get the 'migrants have arrived' message.  I zoom in to see where they are.  They're down in the lower right corner with the top of a volcano between them and my fort, and unfortunately a fire man had wandered out of the volcano onto the surface.  So as I'm fighting off the goblin ambush, my migrants are dodging fireballs.  It turns out my military didn't have much trouble with the six or so goblins in the ambush, and I notice that very luckily two members of the migrant wave were ambushers with crossbows and steel bolts.  A few migrants died but the rest made it to safety, and one of them - a brewer - was injured and bedridden with a broken hand and soon afterward possessed by a strange mood, got out of bed to craft a microcline bracelet, and then crawled back in bed.  That was definitely my first real 'fun' moment.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That happened way too soon (40d)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 11:12:49 pm »

Well, I managed to have a moment of triumph just now.

A fairly large Vile Force of Darkness arrived, led by an iguana shaped law-giver demon.  Those guys always sneer at me across the battlefield and run away.

I was eyeing his fancy armor and clothing, that guy had silk gloves worth $1500.  He didn't need them any more, and I didn't really need them either, and chances are he wasn't going to give them up.

Indeed, the force swooped down and killed a farmer or two.  Crossbow goblins, halberd goblins, great axe bearing goblins, trolls of all types, cave crocodiles, cave crawlers, giant olms, giant bats, jabbers... all looking for ME!

So I sent every squad to the exact same spot, which was wherever Mr. Fancy Nifih Skinblossoms the Swamps of Soaking happened to be standing.  Screw everyone else. 

And now I am the proud owner of clothing with multiple splatters of Nifih Skinblossoms the Swamps of Soaking iguana fiend goo!  Oh yeah and nearly every bad guy perished and I only lost a few soldiers. And best of all, on the civilization menu, the goblin civilization now says that "This land has no important leaders"!  moohaha!
igless