Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I have yet to experience any kind of "fun" yet.  (Read 1177 times)

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I have yet to experience any kind of "fun" yet.
« on: May 27, 2010, 08:25:15 am »

Do not let the title be misleading, I do love dwarf fortress and its such a fantastic game, but I am on my second fortress (ever built) and i have yet experience 'fun' yet.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My first fortress went to 200 dwarfs, 15 years.. and i found i wasnt getting attacked by goblins or being lead to any naterual fortress disaisters so i decided to build a second one near goblins. I stopped playing this one due to the amount of FPS issues i had..

this time i have the population tuned down to 110 dwarfs, I am radically killing all cats to avoid lag issues.. and I am on my 10nth year and survived three 100 sized Goblin sieges (im still waiting for 100 goblin mounted sieges, which I hope to wreck me).

I am honestly disappointed (and not to brag) that i have yet died due to newbieness.

Captain ducks video's are too good :(
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I have yet to experience any kind of "fun" yet.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 08:26:58 am »

I have an idea: I am going to go into a evil area! Muahaha

Edit: and i just realized that i solved my issue, lewl.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 09:22:00 am »

Here's a challange for you:
Reverse-engineer Boatmurdered. Everything they did, you must do it too. Hell, you also have to use the same version, and create the exactly same world, find the exactly same site.

Giving us the save for true Boatmurdered would be a bonus for which you would earn my worship.

Sarvesh Mossbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 09:35:37 am »

Dig deeper. Until you find adamantine. Breach it.
You forgot a detail: Dorfs get webbed in GCS webs and trigger traps. Right now we have some 12 caged dwarves, including you.

Khan FurSainty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 09:49:03 am »

Start a fort in the desert, but don't bring any alcohol. Have FUN!

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 11:40:52 am »

Start a fort in the desert, but don't bring any alcohol. Have FUN!

This, except make it a terrifying desert without brook or pond and don't bring anything apart from 1 pick and 1 axe and 1 anvil and you're not allowed to trade or allow any migrants within your fort and always allow entrance to your fort from the underground.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 11:45:00 am »

Hi!

If you are playing 31.xx you should have no problem at all - just breach the first cavern layer and look forward to uninvited guests and their surprise gifts.

Actually, that could then be a challenge for your creativity as you need to find ways to deal with as many of them as possible and any special talents they brought to bear (see various threads on the forums for details).

Deathworks

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 12:34:53 pm »

DF as is is pretty boring once you learn how to survive the first ambush.  However, there are many ways to challenge yourself.  The community games and stories sub-forum are full of interesting challenges and succesions.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 03:58:11 pm »

I am continually irritated by the law-giver of the goblins, who shows up and seemingly oversees their attack and nimbly escapes before my soldiers can reach him.  Some day his head shall be mine!
igless

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 04:01:34 pm »

If the surface world poses no threat, attack the underworld. I'm sure you're going to have lots of FUN.

Even better, embark in a terrifying biome.

Skeletal cave dragons? FUN!  :o

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 04:35:02 pm »

Are you playing 31.xx?
Breach the Funcave (under the sea)
Never complain about how easy anything is again.
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 04:59:04 pm »

im scared to breach it :(

Can i prepare traps first?!

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 05:34:51 pm »

Okay, but apparently traps aren't as effective now :/
The critters in the first level aren't too frightening, but they will at least give you something to do. I would recommend building a drawbridge so that if an unkillable FB pops up you can prevent it from entering.

Are GCS's as common as they seem? Their webs are everywhere, but I've only found *one* so far... And yes, I am aware that they can cloak.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Kza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 01:26:35 am »

If it's too easy, embark on a small haunted saltwater island. It's fun stuff. Or dig until you breach the outer reaches of the clown circus. Either way is acceptable.

DF isn't hard by any means. You need to make your own difficulty by doing the stupidest things possible.
And then it's pretty much a normal fortress from then on.
I find the idea of a normal fortress amusing.

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 04:10:48 am »

I am playing no farms (Specifically, no underground farms, overground farms are OK, but really really hard, especially with the other requirement), and no inexperianced dwarves. What this means is that aside from Architects and nobles (which are never randomly generated), if a dwarf has either no skill, or only dabbling skill in a job, it cannot do it. Period. Fun times :D

It sucks when your plant gatherer or brewer dies, however :( But that makes it even more fun :D I also like the 'realism' of the fact that dwarves don't know everything :P How many of you can make booze, make a bed out of wood, build a floodgate, hook the floodgate up, perform surgery and deal with broken bones, and construct a 200m high tower? But dwarves can (slowly) :D