Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventure mode suggestions  (Read 922 times)

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
Adventure mode suggestions
« on: April 29, 2007, 12:33:00 pm »

Just a few Adventure mode suggestions, I'm sure most have already been suggested.

1. Kill tally accessible from the status menu for the player character and party members.

2. A litany of titles, gained from completing a number of quests in a town.
For example, to gain a title, one must complete all quests within a town, which must be more than 5.
A hero can also gain titles from completing all quests in the Castle, which gives them a national title.
The title would follow the following format:
The [adjective] [hero type] of [town or country name]
So for example "The Glorious Defender of Goat's Bay."
Or, "The Bloody Saviour of the Hairy Empires"

3. Once scarring is in, perhaps it should get worse if that body part keeps getting mangled.

4. Jumping, distance based on size and agility. This kind of becomes necessary when it becomes possible to have otherwise unbreachable chasms in a fortress now that multistory drops are possible. The distance should vary slightly each jump, so it should be possible to fall down the hole instead of making it across.

5. If traps cannot be disarmed, it should be possible, at least, to mark their presence. It should be possible to write a note to recall what a particular lever does, or whatever, especially if exploring another player's fortress.

6. Swimming should be a skill. Actually this should be in both modes. Dwarves could gain it in fortress mode by practicing in pools. Armour would make it increasingly difficult to swim.

7. Ruins with Dragons in them should have a main chamber as the place where they are usually found. This should have a hoard of precious objects, filled with bones.

Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure mode suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 12:46:00 pm »

oh, also:

8. Adventurers who die amongst the unliving should rise to fight again, this time, for evil! (or possibly, once again, for evil!)

Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Heliopios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 02:30:00 pm »

9. Self Injury. Like in Armok 1.

I want to rip my own eye out, because I'm hardcore like that

Naminator4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 02:37:00 pm »

I think swimming is already being worked on.
hat''s it for now.

Curiousepic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 02:26:00 pm »

Has there been any mention of adding the ability to dig/mine in adventure mode? That would be divine.

melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kieranmillar.com
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 05:03:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Curiousepic:
<STRONG>Has there been any mention of adding the ability to dig/mine in adventure mode? That would be divine.</STRONG>

I completely disagree. When visiting your old fortress, what would there be to stop you picking up a pick, and then tunneling through to a particular place. You'd avoid contact with monsters and it's become too easy to explore that way.

Gimmick Account

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 05:13:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mayday:
<STRONG>
4. Jumping, distance based on size and agility. This kind of becomes necessary when it becomes possible to have otherwise unbreachable chasms in a fortress now that multistory drops are possible. The distance should vary slightly each jump, so it should be possible to fall down the hole instead of making it across.
</STRONG>

I like your suggestions, and concerning point number four I'd like to add that jumping distance should obviously be strongly affected by leg injury state, restedness, encumbrance and current movement speed.

I think there needs to be a 'run/walk' switch like in UnReal World to model the last factor properly. Characters running at full speed probably shouldn't be able to stop as abruptly as they can in walk mode, and instead travel one more square in their given  direction when switching back to walking/pressing 'wait'. They shouldn't be able to detect traps or other secrets passively either when in this mode, and they would be very vulnerable to ambushes by adversaries that are hidden on the sidelines while they run past them. This would potentially create interesting situations where characters fleeing from enemies into unexplored regions of a zone could accidently  run into a series of traps or even around the corner and right into a chasm. Haha.

Curiousepic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 06:55:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by melon:
<STRONG>

I completely disagree. When visiting your old fortress, what would there be to stop you picking up a pick, and then tunneling through to a particular place. You'd avoid contact with monsters and it's become too easy to explore that way.</STRONG>

Uh... your conscience?  Actually I'd only want this when/if the various types of rock have different dig times, and perhaps in adventure mode it's actually increased so it's not necessarily as fast as digging in DF mode currently... an increased risk of a cave-in would be cool too, with the possibility of losing your digging tool in it.  Would make for some great death stories  :)

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 07:32:00 pm »

Not to mention the noise of digging would attract some unwanted attention, I am sure. As long as it is slow and noisy, I say go for it! (Mining in Nethack?)

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 09:21:00 pm »

Most of these are in the dev notes.

Anyways, bear in mind, mining would take a long time.  Days, even, to get a small tunnel going.  Much longer if monsters keep gnawing at you.

Aribar Hunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2007, 09:41:00 pm »

« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 08:31:55 pm by Aribar Hunter »

TakiJap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2007, 10:47:00 am »

11.) No more places, towns, councils or  empires with adjective 'hairy' in their name.

No matter how many times I see it, still somehow I'm freaked out by it.
'Hairylakes'
'Hairy councils'
'Hairy Empires'
Who would call their empire hairy? Is it run by old, fat and very hairy people? Jeez!

Narushima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2007, 08:49:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TakiJap:
<STRONG>Is it run by old, fat and very hairy people?</STRONG>

It is.

Greenskin13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2007, 06:58:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TakiJap:
<STRONG>11.) No more places, towns, councils or  empires with adjective 'hairy' in their name.

No matter how many times I see it, still somehow I'm freaked out by it.
'Hairylakes'
'Hairy councils'
'Hairy Empires'
Who would call their empire hairy? Is it run by old, fat and very hairy people? Jeez!</STRONG>

In Indonesia, we have a fruit called Rambutan, which literally means 'hairy'.

Who knows, maybe these civilizations have a long and deep mythology involving hair.  Maybe their founder was Samson or something.