Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Cool Fortress Constructions  (Read 8254 times)

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cool Fortress Constructions
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2010, 05:10:35 am »

The walls block a little vision, but less so that if the walls were to go straight up.
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Rastaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2010, 06:49:47 am »

Depends if the walls are sheer for each level, or whether they slope gradually and evenly to the top.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2010, 10:50:48 am »

Depends if the walls are sheer for each level, or whether they slope gradually and evenly to the top.
Even so, it would seem to be growing.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2010, 11:20:26 am »

Lighthouse. GLASS Lighthouse. Sitting right on top of a cliff above the crashing ocean waves.

I'm after a large ruby to act as a refracting lens-style light at the top, seeing as I can't get a continuous flame.

!!lignite bin!!
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Rastaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2010, 08:16:16 am »

!!lignite bin!!

Yeah. I was kinda hoping to avoid accidentally setting the world on fire.

Maybe I should just mod a thermonuclear kitty and chuck 'im up there. That would certainly be...interesting, to say the least.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2010, 07:27:28 pm »

So I was thinking, the highest Z level supports constructions right? So, why not make a fortress floating in the sky? Have a spiral stairway with retracting bridges going to the access point, but at most times the fort would not be touching the ground in any way. Should work, right?  8)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2010, 08:46:32 pm »

So I was thinking, the highest Z level supports constructions right? So, why not make a fortress floating in the sky? Have a spiral stairway with retracting bridges going to the access point, but at most times the fort would not be touching the ground in any way. Should work, right?  8)

The biggest problem is that it is an unparalleled pain to designate the construction of all the blocks, further exacerbated by that you have to wait for the dwarves to put one layer into place before you can make the next layer, and by having to scroll through the materials menu if you don't want to make the fortress a multicolored mess.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2010, 09:14:15 pm »

The biggest problem is that it is an unparalleled pain to designate the construction of all the blocks, further exacerbated by that you have to wait for the dwarves to put one layer into place before you can make the next layer, and by having to scroll through the materials menu if you don't want to make the fortress a multicolored mess.

And that's what makes it super-dwarvenly.

Anyway, I've got a couple minor concepts I might include to go with one of mine:

1. The graffiti floor: Floor with limited access (most stairwells bypass it), filled with 6x2 wall sections. The floor exists for engravers to practice and might double as a sort of hall of records. Think it might be interesting to hand the place over after I'm done so that someone can explore the place in adventure mode.

2. The Master's workshop: Set up an area for a master metalworker and store all my shiny there for him to create. The fun comes in when I inevitably get too greedy.
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2010, 06:41:20 am »

Yeah. There's a cool trick that most people figure out over time, which is to designate parts 10 tiles long of one type of thing, then delete the closer 9 designations, then do it again and delete the closer 8 (etc, etc) until you have a full set of designations sticking out over in a 10-tile radius from your starting point, but that's a huge pain in the ass as well. The upside is that you get to go do other stuff instead of returning to designate more stuff every ten seconds.

darkflagrance, I find that if you can spare the time to do it, mass-forbidding all wood, metal, and other material you won't be building with in the stocks screen, designating everything, and then reclaiming everything makes the designation process a lot less painstaking, so long as you can afford to not have metal/wood-based industries going while you build.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]