Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strategies for Long Distance Swimming?  (Read 1775 times)

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strategies for Long Distance Swimming?
« on: May 09, 2010, 08:40:14 pm »

I generated a pocket world that has a human town way out in the ocean on a tiny 1 tile island separated from the main island.  It would be awesome to swim out there with an adventurer; I could imagine it would be like visiting Pitcairn Island.

Other than the obvious of investing all points in swimming, how can I increase the chances my adventurer will survive a swim out to that island?  In fact, do extra points beyond "adequate swimmer" even do anything at all?

Every time I've tried swimming in adventure mode, it ends badly:  the game lags behind the number of arrow key presses I've done, the character gets hungry or thirsty and starts drowning, but by the time I see that it is too late to do anything about it because the backlog of arrow key presses keeps him going until he drowns.

Oh, you know what?  I should write a utility program that either zaps DF's key buffer on command, or which only sends keypresses to DF as fast as it is responding, so that you can interrupt a sequence of keypresses.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
Re: Strategies for Long Distance Swimming?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 09:34:03 pm »

Extra points in swimmer make you swim faster.
The game will lag as you fly across all of that rendered liquid, I haven't managed to swim any more than 4 world tiles, just remember to be patient (really, it may take more than an hour of real time) and bring lots of food. I recommend Zleeping before going as you are likely to get drowsy.

Watch out for sharks.

Raviaric

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_CARDBOARD_BOXES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 10:09:41 pm »

Just remember that you don't need to worry about bringing water since you can lick it off your eye when you get thirsty.

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 11:58:12 pm »

You can walk across frozen oceans. :P
Also, you don't have to swim all the way from coast to coast, just so you're on an adjacent world map tile. Then you can travel. Good for going across annoying one world tile wide oceans.

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 11:21:15 am »

I thought it was impossible to travel while swimming  :o

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 02:44:28 pm »

that's why he walks.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 05:10:50 pm »

view the map in fort mode embark.
train up by sleeping in warm water
get some food.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 04:06:35 pm »

Make sure to sleep before swimming long distances, otherwise you will come down with melencholy and will instantly start drowning.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 08:31:26 pm »

I've managed to get across some large bodies of water, but it took lots of patience.  When I just held the arrow key down, my computer froze up pretty quickly.  Instead, I just pressed it, waited for a response, and pressed it again.  Occasionally I had to direction so I could tell whether I was actually moving.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Lokii

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack of no trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 08:35:28 pm »

A bit related, buy if there is a Z level above the ocean, you can make an adventurer that can fly and go over it without getting tired, I'm fairly sure that it's just like walking (but in the air)
Oh and Lokii, your job is now to seduce the human traders.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 08:53:06 pm »

First, don't go into any evil or naturaly cold areas. You will be frozen and fucking die. Naturaly cold areas obviously would do this, but I was once frozen in the waters leading up to an evil swamp. I wouldn't recomend walking a frozen ocean either, as the ice cap exploration thread showed vast areas of ice can suddenly melt into new configurations. Like ones that trap you untill you starve. Or dump you under the ice with no way out.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 09:18:28 pm »

Can you no longer sleep in the middle of the ocean?

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 10:55:01 am »

Can you no longer sleep in the middle of the ocean?

"You can't rest because you are swimming"

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 06:56:05 pm »

Oh well.  It was a great bug while it lasted.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 08:18:53 pm »

mind providing the seed for the world?

I would never think to cross an ocean larger than 2-3 tiles in the map. Exactly how big is this gap at the nearest point?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.