Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Named Animals  (Read 365 times)

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Named Animals
« on: April 10, 2008, 12:00:00 pm »

Well in today's dev log Toady mentioned that animals that kill hunters would make a name for themselves, but then die of old age fairly quickly. How about instead animals that kill more than a few people would become semi-megabeasts and when they died would come back as a zombie and eventually a skeleton after a certain amount of time.

If the animals then racked up some more kills they could become some sort of focus of death. Then they would start a pack with other skeletal and zombie animals to settle in a haunted or terrifying region and sometimes raid nearby towns until an adventurer takes them out.

Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Named Animals
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 02:29:00 pm »

Good approach to the named creatures dilemma. But maybe Toady will choose to wait for the magic arc  :(

qalnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 01:22:00 pm »

I was just reading through the past few updates and I had a similar thought when I read this.

My thought, though, had been that if a creature kills enough humans it might become immortal in the sense that it would never die of old age, but might instead just become infertile past a certain age to prevent this from causing amusing side effects.

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 05:07:00 am »

I think its ok that these monsters die of old age... After all, I'd imagine they aren't so much megabeasts or semi-megabeasts but just a local tale for a specific village or some such that would be forgotten soon after the creatures death...