Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: When will the hurting stop  (Read 841 times)

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
When will the hurting stop
« on: April 29, 2007, 04:22:00 am »

The whole justice system is insane.  I have 17 dwarves all legendary in at least 1 skill and some are there on a 3rd.  That is all my adults.  However, I can't continually produce all the things being demanded by silly nobles, especially the queen.  She is currently demanding I make 10 adamantine items, and as soon as she gets fed up with that one she will demand 11.

I am trying not to continuously execute my nobles, but my dwarves want a revolution.  So the sheriff is ordered to his execution as quickly as possible, I think I have killed 4 now.  As soon as he shows up though he starts beating every dwarf in sight.  Right now I have 3 dwarves that are likely to never recover from thier injuries.

Think of just how many despots and petty tyrants in history have been executed by a mob of thier subjects for demanding too much.  How many beatings and imprisonments must the subjects suffer before they revolt?

There just needs to be some mechanism by which nobles stop demanding everything.  Perhaps some mechanism that actually is a revolt.  Especially since the future version is going to make it bad to order those nasty nobles to thier death.

"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

OverrideB1

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Coffee-Drinker
    • View Profile
Re: When will the hurting stop
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 05:04:00 am »

I have to agree -- demands from Nobles drive me batsh*t: hence their ignoble deaths as soon as they arrive. Well, with the exception of the Book-Keeper, Broker, and Dungeon Master.

I've commented on this before and asked about the possibility of either being able to micro-manage production so that we can make exactly what the Nobles want or for there to be a mechanism to tone down demands.

But... Dwarven revolution might work nicely too.

By the Beards of my Ancestors: There are Elephants inside the fortress. Seems like a good time to lie down right in front of them and... go to sleep
---last words of Cog Ingishontak, legendary Craftsdwarf

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 05:06:00 am »

Can't you please them with legendary offices and such, while skipping some of the obscure demands? Or do they still go around beating people?
"It's unpossible!"

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 05:24:00 am »

A good idea, but the dwarves need to know that other dwarves are pissed off before they start to disappear from your view and become 'enemies' to your soldiers /nobles. So, as dwarves begin to have parties, they should exchange thoughts on what's happened recently; if a friend of a dwarf got beaten, the friends of that dwarf would become angry, who would tell their friends, and so on... But only if they had friends to begin with.
As well, to stop it from spinning out of control, groups of friends should be limited in some way based on the population. On top of that, dwarves that are in the military and have friends that are getting beaten should be more likely to revolt; why bother being a soldier if you have no one to protect, or no one to care for you when you get injured, or no one to make your favorite items, or necessary equipment?

Eventually of course, once the number of wounded from beatings reaches a certain point, EVERYONE should revolt against the noble that started the whole thing; except of course the royal gaurd... Unless some of their number were beaten, as well.

Also, i dont think the next version will make it "bad" to execute nobles... Just a bit more difficult with the 'standard' method of cold/hot showers.
After all... We still have bridges.

[ April 29, 2007: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

OverrideB1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 08:10:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by FaultyLogic:
<STRONG>Can't you please them with legendary offices and such, while skipping some of the obscure demands? Or do they still go around beating people?</STRONG>

Unfortunately not. They will still demand stuff -- usually it's pretty simple like Make 3 shields and that's not a problem (except for how often they demand it). But sometimes they want stuff that you've no control over - like limestone mugs. Then you have to churn out mugs in light stone until you've accidentally made the requisite number of limestone mugs. And some poor dwarf is going to get arrested or hammered when they don't get what they want.

Then there's the demands for stuff in their quarters/dining room/office -- I had one Noble who had so many obsidian tables that there was nowhere -- in 3 rooms -- to put another. Yet he still demanded more. In my current game I have a Noble who has a fetish for platinum. Every platinum craft I've ever made to sell? Currently in his quarters.

And, if that's not bad enough, they keep on changing the prices of goods/raw materials when the Book-Keeper arrives. Not just once or twice, or one of them at a time. No, lots of times, all at once.

And when you've got as many Nobles as you can get (38 in total) it just becomes insane trying to keep up with the mandates, demands, and price-changes. I've only tried to keep all the Nobles alive and happy once. Now I'll happily drown/incinerate the little sods and keep only the usful ones.

[ April 29, 2007: Message edited by: OverrideB1 ]

By the Beards of my Ancestors: There are Elephants inside the fortress. Seems like a good time to lie down right in front of them and... go to sleep

prklts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 11:59:00 am »

It's kind of funny that in order to advance to later stages of the game, a player is basically required to murder the nobles. Hehe.

Tim

Zomg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 12:18:00 pm »

Kill or injure your Captain of the Guard, and assign a peasant weakling (or better yet, an eyeless fainter or other charity case) to the Fortress Guard. Weight him down with multiple layers of armor. He'll sluggishly perform beatings unarmed, which usually just give the victim a bruise or other sub-yellow injury. I like the image of this cruel feudal dwarven justice system short-circuited by making the executor of justice a fat peasant with cave spider bite sickness.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 04:18:00 pm »

Whatever you do, DON'T disarm the hammerer!
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

OverrideB1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 05:59:00 pm »

Another thing that bugs me about the Nobles (since we're having a swipe at them) is HOW they arrive. My last wave of migrants consisted of:
• Baroness
• Baroness' Consort
• Tax-Gatherer
• Hammerer
• Mayor
• Captain of The Guard
• Craftworks Guild
• Sword Guild dude
• Peasant
• Pig

That's right - I got a pig and a peasant that could actually do something and 8 useless berks who immediately -- on the very day they arrived -- issued 4 mandates, requested that I construct 3 different items (2 of which I cannot manufacture directly) and instituted 8 price-changes. Needless to say -- they all found themselves assigned to pulling alever in a suspiciously warm room deep inside the fortress...