Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is Digipen Worth It?  (Read 3643 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Is Digipen Worth It?
« on: June 09, 2010, 03:57:46 pm »

I'm looking at attending Digipen, a game design college in Redmond, Washington to learn how to program and to learn specifically how to program games.

Currently, I have marginal experience coding, specifically c++, and a little with flash, and marginal practice with 3D art, specifically procedural textures. If I go to Digipen, it will be in the fall of 2011.

I want to know if other B12ers have gone there and are really enjoying it and getting a lot out of it, or are going there and are considering transfering to San Quentin, or don't go there because they visited and learned about the horrible secret they keep hidden in the sewers below, or perhaps you've gone to a different school and feel it is the best place to learn to be a professional Indie Game Designer.

And I want to note that I'm not asking how to make computer games, I'm asking where to go to learn how...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
Re: Is Digipen Worth It?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 04:56:59 pm »

I've never heard of it, but it seems interesting. I keep hearing about this place called Full Sail in Florida. I get a brochure every month or two on the latest accomplishments of their graduates. Some of them worked on Avatar and God of War. Cool.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 05:22:31 pm »

I've been in some Digipen weekend class things (as a high schooler) and they were pretty cool. Don't think i know anyone in the actual college though.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 05:25:59 pm »

Absolutely do it. Video game companies often recruit right from (the best of the) Digipen grads, and their games often get publicity. I've been hearing about how amazing Digipen is for years, and besides that, the west coast is amazing.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 08:12:40 pm »

Didn't Portal originate there?(as Narbacular Drop, I think, before valve hired the team to make Portal)
Eh?
Eh!

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 12:50:06 am »

Exactly where is Digipen?  I live on the west coast myself, and well... let's just say, if Digipen is on the east side of the cascade mountains, then you'll be dealing with a very different climate.

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 04:26:03 am »

I've head good things, but I decided against it myself because of the male:female ratio. If you are really set on working in gaming though it's definitely the place to go.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 08:18:26 am »

Exactly where is Digipen?  I live on the west coast myself, and well... let's just say, if Digipen is on the east side of the cascade mountains, then you'll be dealing with a very different climate.
It's definitely on the other side. The only major cities we have in this arid wasteland have community colleges and not much else.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 05:48:27 pm »

As an eastern Washington resident I feel the need to confirm this in emphatic terms. But yeah, Redmond is on the West side.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 07:11:19 pm »

I enjoyed my 4 year college stay on the east side, it was nice to have snow in winter as opposed to more plentiful, slightly colder rain.  So it's it Redmond then?  I've heard things are expensive there but!  All the major techy companies live there, so someone majoring in programming would definently enjoy the area.

Don't forget your sandals to wear when it rains.