Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 5 years and 15 dwarves? (.04)  (Read 960 times)

deoxys413

• Bay Watcher
  • Space. It's quiet, too quiet...
    • View Profile
5 years and 15 dwarves? (.04)
« on: May 28, 2010, 01:09:46 pm »

So I was very eager to play DF 31 when they finally got a mac release out. The problem being on my particular embark site not only is the dwarven caravan the only one not showing up, I've yet to see a wave of immigrants since that first one on my first year.

Is this a bug or is my wealth not high enough to warrant immigrants? (currently 50K)
WATER is the universal solvent.
MAGMA is the universal solution.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
Re: 5 years and 15 dwarves? (.04)
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 01:15:31 pm »

Is your civilization still alive?

Save the game & shut it down.
Make a copy of the save.
Restart the game and select the copy.
Abandon the site.
Select Legends.
Check your Civ to make sure it exits and wasn't exterminated.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 02:17:10 pm »

As a matter of principle, I look at Legends mode before I start a fortress in a freshly gen'd world. Something like "oops, this civ got wiped off the map" is important to catch early, especially in a smaller world where only 1 civ per race is created due to size limitations. Your first year's immigrants will come no matter what (pop cap, civ being dead) but beyond that they are subject to the usual limitations (wealth export, pop cap, existence of civ).
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 02:53:03 pm »

No caravan at all means your civilization has been wiped out.

Create a tiny 1x1 meeting zone and get your dwarves working on those babies! Its the only way to repopulate the world.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 02:56:02 pm »

Hi!

I agree that the symptoms you describe sound like a dead civilization.

Allow me to point out a very useful feature during embark - at least when you are in the civ selection tab (but I think also in the other ones, not quite sure, though), in the overview map at the very right (the one showing the entire world), all settlements of your civ are shown in blue. So, as long as your civ is alive, there should be at least one blue settlement marker on that map.

Going a little bit off topic, this feature is not only good at finding out whether a civ is alive, but if you have the option between several dwarven civs, you can see which is the largest and thus will have the biggest variety of trade goods to offer (more settlements => more different terrain types => more diversity in the resources they can access => more diversity in the trade goods). I really recommend always deliberately going for the biggest dwarven civ so as to avoid missing resources.

But for your current fortress, I recommend you do as Dwarfu suggests just to make sure that it is not a bug and then decide whether you want to continue with those last survivors or gen a new world.

Deathworks

deoxys413

• Bay Watcher
  • Space. It's quiet, too quiet...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 03:57:16 pm »

The problem with the repopulating idea is that they're all female ._.;
Come to think of it that sounds right, but I was going under the impression that only the mountainhome my dwarves were from was dead. That and I though 'No Trade' would show up for any reason they couldn't.

To Regen! *woosh*
WATER is the universal solvent.
MAGMA is the universal solution.