Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Three sugestions:  (Read 461 times)

Seagoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Three sugestions:
« on: April 10, 2008, 11:13:00 am »

Three simple suggestions:

1. Alow us the option to turn off Aquifiers before world gen.

2. PLEASE PLEASE make walling and flooring easier, somthing like the roads/bridges have at the moment would be sufficiant!

3. give us a 'common stone only' option when building, so that we dont accedentialy build half the wall out of potash and charcoal.

/END

Silveron

• Bay Watcher
  • Arichect of Destruction
    • View Profile
Re: Three sugestions:
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 11:37:00 am »

#1... why? Do you simply want no aquifers at all in the world? Aquifers allow all kinds of crazy dwarven projects.

#2... Popular request. I'd like to be able to designate the structures easier perhaps something like the mining designator with a material selection. Im okay with one wall taking one rock and being a single job. Roads and bridges seem to take forever because only one person hauls materials to the job. We have an advantage with constructions since each one is its own job/hauler/builder.

#3... A small custom stockpile of your chosen materials next to the build site helps. The closest items sort to the top of the list excluding some z-level vs x-y closeness issues. What I'd like is to be able to set a default building material under the construction menu.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 08:09:00 pm »

when I was walling over the top of the hill my smelters were set up inside it built the whole wall out of gold bars, I had to pull it all down and start again. That was with custom stockpiles too. Obviously the bars were directly below the wall
A stopped clock is right for exactly two infinitessimal moments every day.
A working clock on the other hand is almost never ever exactly right.

RyanW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 10:57:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Seagoon:
<STRONG>1. Alow us the option to turn off Aquifiers before world gen.</STRONG>

You could just remove all the [AQUIFER] tags from matgloss_stone_layer and matgloss_stone_soil.  Then you would (I think) have no aquifers...

...or it might cause hard drive crashes, loss of resale value of your home, premature baldness, and excessive toenail growth.

You went the wrong way Old King Urist

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 11:47:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Silveron:
<STRONG>#1... why? Do you simply want no aquifers at all in the world? Aquifers allow all kinds of crazy dwarven projects.</STRONG>
I can see where the OP is coming from - aquifers can be seriously annoying by making your concept fort much harder to find a site for. If you want, say, a heavily-forested site by a major river without an aquifer, then you're going to spend a lot of generating maps and then tediously looking for one that matches. If on top of that you want a specific set of rocks available, or magma, well, be prepared to spend many hours doing nothing but looking at maps.

The fact that aquifers have uses does not change the fact that they are often annoying.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels